Thursday, 17 October 2013

Butterick 5917


Butterick 5917 is one of those patterns that I just had to buy instantly. Let's just say it's my kind of style! I bought it back in June/July with every intention of it becoming my next project. Needless to say, as it's now October that it didn't. Not through lack of time (although time IS tight for me over the summer months!) or enthusiasm or anything like that, I just couldn't seem to find the right fabric. In the end, it wasn't fabric that caught my eye at all, it was this little number:


I loved the idea of making this dress in a red and black polka dot so this is how it came about. I then had a look around on-line at other red and black dresses and most seemed to be a predominantly red with black polka dot top and a black skirt, so to be different I mixed it up a bit. 


You may have already noticed that I also changed the sleeves on this dress.


The sleeves on B5917 are very plain and mine are gathered. I wanted to compliment the gathers on the bodice front so I used the sleeve pattern from Vogue 8555 which has a gathered sleeves and sleeve bands. Even without my gathered sleeves, the visual interest on this dress is definitely in the bodice and  the high waistline makes the whole thing very flattering.

To make this dress, I used a red Polyester bi-stretch suiting for the skirt. and the bodice is a lovely Black/Red polka dot print stretch cotton. This a great fabric to work with and because of the stretch it's comfortable to wear and can be very forgiving! But it's a pattern open to a multitude of fabrics; experiment and enjoy :)





To read my Sewing Pattern Review Click Here

Keep Smiling :)

Winter~Queen




5 comments:

  1. This looks great! I love the two different fabrics- perfect for this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon. I loved making this dress x

      Delete
  2. hi this looks fab on you ... i think I read it correctly that you used stretch fabric.. do you think a jersey fabric would work okay ? thanks a million

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Isobel. Mine was a stretch woven so has very minimal stretch in it. Just enough for ease and comfort of wearing. If you made this is a jersey you may have to go down a size? You would also still need a zip to get it on and off due to the bodice/skirt seam. I hope that helps! Good luck with yours

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete