Thursday, 30 January 2014

Vogue 2934 - 1950's Vintage Jacket

First MAGAM project completed!

This was my first project for the Make a Garment a Month Challenge. And here it is... finished!

The Pattern is Vogue 2934 a vintage reproduction of a 1950's design, which, if it weren't for all the hand sewing, would actually make up quite quickly! But that's what you get from a vintage pattern; it makes up the vintage way!

The Pattern envelope

It was because of all the hand sewing that I picked this for my monthly challenge. I needed the motivation. I mean look at this lining... all sewn in by my now almost bleeding fingers ;)


and if that wasn't painful enough, have you ever sewn frog closures on by hand?!! Ouch


Seriously, grumbling aside, this was a lovely jacket to make. It appealed because I had read that it made up "the old fashioned way" so I wanted to give it a try. Yes there is a lot of hand sewing but it is definitely worth it. I altered it slightly by adding a contrast piping to the front and cuff edges. This was to keep in with my brown and cream theme :)

The fabric I used is a Boiled Wool Blend in Cream from Truro Fabrics but it's more of a very light beige. It's available in so many Lovely Winter Colours too. I have worked with this fabric before (See Here) and it not only made up well, it drapes beautifully, so it was perfect to use for this jacket. Frog closures were purchased HERE from Macculloch and Wallis


I didn't use a proper lining fabric because I wanted a shiny finish. As lovely as some linings are, they are mostly very matt. I used a Liquid Satin in Brown Available Here (again in a mirriad of colours) from Minerva Crafts. Oh and for the first time ever, I even made use of the Vogue label that comes with all Vogue patterns!


I am really pleased with this jacket. I just love the funnel collar (cleverly put together just by using darts!) and the full cuffed dolman sleeves




And check out my lovely chocolate coloured gloves too! Genuine Articles from the 1960's so a steal at just £4.50p




The details of construction are on My Sewing Pattern Review Click Here

Thanks for stopping by ~ Keep Smiling :)

The Winter~Queen

8 comments:

  1. This jacket is absolutely lovely as is the lady wearing it. Beautiful colour combo with the piping and frog closures. Love, love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't say enough about this jacket! It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful jacket! I like the contrast piping and frog closures too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn, I agree, hand sewing adds a specialness to a garment - but it is a bit prickly :). The final result is well worth the pain. It's absolutely beautiful, and it suits your personality so nicely. The label is a lovely touch.

    ReplyDelete