Monday, 17 March 2014

Burda 7174 - Cherry Red


So it's March. The nights are gradually drawing out and the daffodils are out. Even the spring sewing patterns are out! Which is more than can be said for the sun.

But us Brits have learned to live with whatever the weather throws at us. And sun or no sun, sewing for spring has started.

My first spring project is 1950's retro pattern Burda 7174. I think it has recently been discontinued as I cannot find it on the Burda Website, but it looks like this

I made this dress considerably shorter for a more fun look rather than formal



I used a bright patterned cherry print on navy stretch cotton available HERE from Truro Fabrics (although on such a grey, dismal day it's not looking all that bright!)


I was drawn to this pattern because of the high neckline and the pleated hem.
I tackled the pleated hemline first as I knew it would the most time consuming and pleats are not something I have tackled for over 20 years. 

I'm not going to lie, this dress and I had a serious fallout. And on more than one occasion! I was meticulous in my marking, read, re-read and read the instructions again but on occasions I was still left scratching my head (and swearing to myself once or twice too!) I love Burda designs but Burda and I just can't seem to hit it off! 


But despite having a love/hate relationship with this pattern, I am always up for a sewing challenge and this pattern certainly gave me that. And to see it all come good in the end is much more satisfying than a pattern that went together with no issues.


and as you can see, as I do my Irish jig, this dress and I are friends again :)



To read my Sewing Pattern Review CLICK HERE

Until next time ~ Happy Sewing :)x

4 comments: