Saturday, 12 April 2014

Kwik Sew 3897

Meet My New Make


Kwik Sew 3897 -  My April  Garment for the MAGAM Challenge. The theme this month was of Growth and Regeneration so the suggestion was to " learn a new technique, or expand your sewing knowledge". So I decided to expand my knowledge by trying something completely new.
New in every step of the way as everything about this project is a first for me:

I have never used a Kwik Sew pattern before, never made Dungarees before, and certainly never worn anything like this before. Pretty sure I have never made anything in corduroy before either.

Oh and nor have I ever attached or used Bachelor buttons and dungaree clips
These were surprisingly easy.

Dungarees have become a bit laughable over the years and deemed a bit "un-cool" Even the pattern envelope photo does not give a very good impression!


But Dungarees are certainly making a come back and it's how you wear them that can also make all the difference


 I loved the idea of wearing these with one of the straps unfastened. This was the look that inspired me. So with leftover Cotton fabric from Frumble that I used to line my Minoru Jacket I lined the bib with this for contrast as an added feature


The bib lining

I also cut a narrower leg




When looking online for some corduroy fabric, I kept coming across something called a "Wale". It was only then that I realised the lower the wale number per inch, the thicker the width of the wale. I don't know why I didn't know this! 
Anyway I didn't want a big thick chunky corduroy, so I settled on a pure cotton 14 wale needlecord available HERE from Truro Fabrics.







So on the whole, as everything about these was all new to me, I am pretty impressed with the end result! And, I have to say, as much as I love making and wearing dresses, I am feeling very much at home in these!

To Read My Sewing Pattern Review CLICK HERE

Thanks for stopping by :)

Happy Sewing!
Until next time :)x

12 comments:

  1. I love these! Great idea of narrowing the legs. How did you go about making them narrower?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Sandy :)
      Fitting them to myself wasn't wasn't easy but to begin with before cutting, I reduced the hem width first and then graded up to meet the crotch. When I basted them together they were still too baggy for my liking but all the fullness was on the back legs not front. So I graded down again on the back only. :)x

      Delete
  2. I find that Kwik Sew can be baggy down the back leg. These look great after your alterations - and even a little bit of bagginess adds to the charm of these dungarees. I like the gold chain with the workers cap :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sarah Liz :) I think I got it just right with the leg...??!! Didn't want them baggy but not skinny tight either! I hadn't worn that cap since 2006... ! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Dawn! You did a terrific job on the overalls. They turned out absolutely perfect. I almost bought one of KWIK Sews overall pattern's about a month ago, I just might have to revisit the idea. I myself like the thicker paper since I trace off my patterns. It makes it a little easier for me in the event I have to change sizes I still have the complete pattern. Annnyyyyhoooowww, you really did a nice job ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it Joe, I can see you in a pair of these. I've noticed most people prefer the thicker paper of kwik sew, but as I rarely need to do alterations I prefer the tissue. I am also lazy in cutting out as it;s not my favourite bit. So if I can keep it to a minimum I will! ;)

      Delete
  5. Those look great on you, very stylish, you've inspired me, thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope you get to make some... and Id love to see them! :)x

      Delete
  6. Bit late to this dungarees party, but totally love yours! Very nice sewing, I am trying to decide if I can get away with dungarees too. Thanks for a very useful review x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bit late to this dungarees party, but totally love yours! Very nice sewing, I am trying to decide if I can get away with dungarees too. Thanks for a very useful review x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bit late to this dungarees party, but totally love yours! Very nice sewing, I am trying to decide if I can get away with dungarees too. Thanks for a very useful review x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bit late to this dungarees party, but totally love yours! Very nice sewing, I am trying to decide if I can get away with dungarees too. Thanks for a very useful review x

    ReplyDelete