Sunday, 25 May 2014

McCalls 3650 ~ Howdy partners!

Yea Ha! Finally we are connected to the outside world again!!

And finally, I have a sewing room again!
Ok so its not decorated to my tastes yet but it's up and running which is all that matters right now and here is my first make.


When I started to pack up my old sewing room 3 or 4 weeks ago, I came across this pattern, McCalls 3650 that I had bought back in the 1990's, forgotten all about and never made! What a little hidden gem as this hasn't dated at all.

Needless to say it is now OOP but  there is still the odd copy floating around and about on the likes of eBay, Amazon etc.

I cut out the strapless version of View C but with the long sleeves of View A and B.  But once it was finished all but the hem I decided I actually quite liked it loose and so didn't put in the hem elastic



But then having worn it once, despite loving the look of this, especially from the back , I wasn't liking the feel of the fly-away hem and so latterly went back to the sewing machine and put the hem elastic in after all!


As you can see I inserted the elastic loosely; just enough to reduce the "fly away" look and create more of a blousen appearance without it being too fitted.

This is my first sewing project for May so it's not really been a sewing month for me at all. Yet I couldn't let a month go by without at least one make so this pattern was ideal for something quick and easy and with fabric I already had. It was a great top to make and I even did French seams throughout due to the sheer fabric which is a White Woven Slub Polycotton and available HERE from Minerva Crafts. It's perfect for this type of top but would look just a wonderful in a pretty patterned cotton.

My French seams!

I am loving everything about this top. I cant believe I never made it when I bought it. I have always been a fan of the off the shoulder look and these long frilly sleeves just make it so pretty. I am already seeing this in a pretty mini floral cotton.... :)





Thanks for stopping by and I'll try not to leave it so long next time!

Happy Sewing Everyone :)

4 comments:

  1. What a fun top! What a lovely make

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the whole look against your rustic fence :). It's going to be great fun to wear during your summer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully we get a decent summer! I can see me wearing this top a lot :)x

      Delete