Sunday, 1 June 2014

McCalls 6706 with 6436 ~ Sea Green

Generally, I'm not really a skirt person. I never seem to know what to wear with them and I seem to have this issue with bulk around my middle (i.e the waistband and a tucked in top!) so it's just easier and more comfortable to wear dresses.  Also, I'm sure I live in the windiest seaside town  ever known to man so full skirts like this one are for me, certainly not of a practical nature!
But one thing I do like is making different things and this skirt ticks that box.


I chose McCalls 6706 View C because of the high-low hem (mullet hem as I call them; short at the front, long at the back!). It's just that little bit different from making a normal inverted pleat skirt. Although having enjoyed making this up, I'd still like to make the other versions just because!

I got the skirt fabric for the bargain price of £2.99per metre from Minerva Crafts, so at that price, it didn't really matter that I probably won't get much wear out of it. But as it was that long ago and from the clearance line, it's no longer in stock. It's just a woven polyester in white with a pale green check but also has an awesome shiny silver thread woven into the fabric as well.

shiny silver thread close up!

As you can see this fabric is kinda light so I added an A-line lining from Tricot. I made this quite some time ago but was waiting to find the right colour fabric to make a matching top. Eventually I found that such colour! (see what I mean about having to find the right thing to wear with a skirt?!)


The shirt pattern is McCalls 6436 and I can't rate this pattern highly enough!! I loved everything about it. The last shirt I made was a Simplicity Pattern (Blogged HERE) and I have to say that despite that being an "Amazing Fit" Pattern, this one for me wins hands down. This really is an amazing fit and had cup sizes on the pattern ranging from A to D. Again, as with full skirts, shirts aren't something I wear a huge amount of, but I am definitely holding onto this one as it's a good basic use and use again shirt pattern.
And I think I might just be getting some wear out of this shirt because I love it! The Cashmere Crepe fabric is lush, handled really well and feels fabulous to wear. This SEA GREEN colour is currently OOS but there is a variety of other colours available HERE from White Lodge Fabric.


 I am feeling extremely summery in this shirt and skirt and even the sun is shining! Perhaps summer has reached the UK after all :)




Thanks for Stopping by :)

Happy Sewing!
Dawn



6 comments:

  1. What a fun, flirty, feminine skirt - I think it will look gorgeous blowing in the breeze with that lovely flowing hemline :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz :) If a breeze is all it is I'll be fine! ;) x

      Delete
  2. The whole outfit is so pretty and summery! I really love your fabric choices and you look great wearing skirt ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your outfit looks great. I'm really overhauling my wardrobe and trying to get back to more neutral basics. I've been trying to find a basic blouse pattern and thanks to your review I am going to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad the review helped Sue. I shall look forward to seeing your version of it :) x

      Delete