Thursday, 28 August 2014

Butterick 5747 ~ Hello Sailor!

August is traditionally the month that us British take to the coast for a bit of fresh sea air, sand in our toes, ice cream and fish and chips. Our bank holiday is generally the last chance to make the most of what's left of our summer before the children head back to school and early autumn heads our way.

I however, live by the sea so rarely participate in any of those activities during summer. Especially August! But, living by the sea, it was time to have a nautical themed dress. And this is it...


So where is the sea you may ask..? Well August for us is our busiest time. So as much as I wanted to head down to the beach for some photos of this dress, time just didn't allow.

The pattern, Butterick 5747 lends itself to make the perfect little sailor dress

I made a combo of both: the Bodice of View A and the Straight skirt of View B using a pillarbox red luna cotton. It creases like crazy but cool and fresh it certainly is!

Oh look careful and you can actually see the sea!! Getting out on our balcony is the closest I got to "seaside" photos!


I made a couple of changes to the pattern but only slight. I didn't want the big winged collar so I altered this and rounded it off. The dress also features a detachable dickey giving the option to wear the dress with or without it. Hmmm, without tends to give rather a lot of over exposure, especially if you are pigeon chested like me! Yet making the dickey the size of the pattern piece gives the feeling of serious strangulation!! So I made the dickey considerably smaller and this works perfectly :)


For the nautical vibe I added the red and white grossgrain ribbon and nautical red and white anchor buttons both available HERE and HERE

These buttons just add the perfect finishing touch

Fabric, Buttons and Grossgrain Trim were all purchased from myfabrics.co.uk


I also purchased a red and white striped belt for this dress to match the red and white trim. Only I actually prefer the dress without the belt!



This dress was also my August project for the MAGAM Challenge. Had I not joined this wonderful inspirational group, I really don't think this dress would ever have made it in time to see the summer out....!

To read my Sewing Pattern Review CLICK HERE

Thanks for stopping by

Happy Sewing!
Dawn :)x

10 comments:

  1. Love your pics and cute dress

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad we helped with keeping the motivation going during the busy year and busy season you have had :)

    This dress is stunning - the shape suits you nicely, and it was a good idea to round the collar -it suits you and frames your face nicely. The dicky looks about right too. I agree, the belt is not needed on this dress - it seems to have one as part of the cut. I do hope you get some wear out of it before the weather changes too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes it did have a belt as part of the pattern but decided to go with a belt that matched my trim. Glad I decided against making one up seeing as I am preferring it without anyway :)x

      Delete
  3. Really love your dress. All the details: the buttons, the trim, just add to it. The belt is nice, but I agree with you, looks better without it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute, fun dress that really suits you. I love the ribbon and buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely sailor worthy. I love it. I've got the pattern, but I've not taken the time to get a closer look. You're making me want to blow the dust off and get it started. Perfect color and fit..Great Job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dellia! Yes, get that pattern dusted off and lets see it made up :)x

      Delete