Thursday, 14 August 2014

Simplicity 1418 ~ Summer Dreams


What a breath of fresh summer air this little number is. I'd seen so many pretty summer dresses around on Pattern Review and Sewing Blogs that I was starting to feel very left out!
So when the July theme for the MAGAM Challenge was to "Make Your Wish" it was time to make that pretty summer dress that I so wanted for myself. 


Originally I was going to use Butterick 5747 for my pretty summer dress but then I realised I still had Simplicity 1415 from last year still not made up. So I had a quick change of plan and I now have some fabulous fabric and notions at the ready for the Butterick make. Watch this space for that as I am so excited to get that project on the go...

So this was the chosen pattern
Far more suited for a pretty floral print me thinks

I made View B with the shoulder straps and off the shoulder sleeves. Shown better here from the pattern diagram

I had some blue cotton fabric left over from a previous project which contrasted so well with this floral print. For the Butterick pattern I was going to use it for a contrasting collar. For this I decided to add a little self made piping. And first time self made piping I hasten to add!


The blue just went so well I had to incorporate somehow!

The dress Fabric I used was a soft and drapey viscose from Minerva Crafts (I think I should be on commission for them lately lol!) However it seems to be taking me so long from buying fabric, to making up, that the fabrics I'm using are sold out by the time I post on the Blog. So the blue is no longer available but they have the same fabric in a different colour HERE


I have to say I totally wasn't feeling it half way through making up this dress. I was starting to think that I wasn't going to like it and that I'd probably never wear it. But when I tried it on for fitting, Oh my gosh I loved it! Better still, other than quite a drastic shortening of the shoulder straps it needed no crucial fit adjustments what so ever. Don't you just love it when that happens :)

This dress feels great on. I love it and I love that it fits so well. Summer seems to have disappeared again here in the UK but providing we get a second wind, I can foresee me wearing this often. I finally have a my very own pretty summer dress for 2014... YaaY!





To Read My Sewing Pattern Review CLICK HERE

Thanks for stopping by!

Until next time :)
Dawn :)x



15 comments:

  1. Very cute dress Dawn! Love those boots too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done a perfect summer dress. For you one summer dress you have made an excellent job it's very pretty and the piping is an original touch

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thrilled you finally got your pretty dress - I just hope you have the chance to wear it. I love the garden you are in - that's so pretty as well. It is a real garden sort of dress :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah Liz. And the garden I am in is the garden of our new house :)x

      Delete
  4. Great job! Turned out perfect for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cute is that dress and as for them boots whoooo spill the beans on where you got them plz- BTW can't believe you not made bias before Dawn! just love bias trim, you'll be adding it to all sorts now xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Im slow on the uptake of making bias. It wasn't the thing to do when I was making clothes in my teens and Ive had such a big gap in sewing since then! Boots... ha yes they are awesome and are sooo comfy!!! They are ebay! :)x

      Delete
  6. I am making this dress (with the various bodice variations) for my 5 bridesmaids. Thankfully I have 2 bridemaids that can sew, my mom and 11 months until the wedding. Any tips or tricks after making the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Congratulations on your up and coming wedding :) And What beautiful bridesmaid dresses this pattern will make. Are you making it with the straps? I didnt have any issues at all with this pattern apart from with the straps. If so, I advise to baste one of the bodice side seams together, attaching the skirt and then pinning the other side seam whilst wearing it before attaching the straps so you can get a better idea of the strap length (the weight of the skirt pulls the bodice down to the correct position). I found the straps to be way too long. Hope that helps and good luck with all yours! :)x

      Delete
  7. Hi Dawn! I am sewing this dress as a bridesmaid dress for my daughter. I am confused about the off-the-shoulder sleeve part. When I put the elastic in the casing, do I leave the casing flat or scrunch it up some? If I scrunch it up, how do I know how much to scrunch? I hope that makes sense... Thanks in advance, Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenni! The casing is flat until you insert the elastic. How much it scrunches up depends on how much elastic you put in. Its meant to be just subtle to help keep the sleeves from drooping. My elastic wasnt much shorter than the casing itself but You will probably need to try on your daughter to know how much to insert. I do hope that helps xx

      Delete
  8. Hi Dawn! I am sewing this dress as a bridesmaid dress for my daughter. I am confused about the off-the-shoulder sleeve part. When I put the elastic in the casing, do I leave the casing flat or scrunch it up some? If I scrunch it up, how do I know how much to scrunch? I hope that makes sense... Thanks in advance, Jenni

    ReplyDelete