Tuesday, 23 September 2014

V1419 Sewalong

So, when I first saw this coat I barely gave it a passing glance...

But as a follower of the McCall Pattern Blog, it was brought to my attention and I began to admire it and appreciate it's detail. 



This coat is just so not practical at all for my lifestyle. My kinda coat needs to be rainproof, windproof, trees and hedge-proof, brambleproof, bung in the washing machine proof, suitable to be worn with wellies proof, and all those other practical proofs you can possibly think of!

 But it's the pattern that The McCall Pattern Company have chosen for their first Sewalong, of which I have decided to be brave and participate!  I have made advanced level sewing patterns before but never a coat. I've made plenty of jackets in my time and OK I did make a coat once back in the 80's but it was with the assistance of my wonderful Mum and she even did the bound buttonholes for me.

The pattern arrived yesterday and OMG the instructions are intimidating! This is going to be one major task for me. But I am looking forward to it and it's done over a timeline of several weeks starting more or less as of now up until 17 November.

Next week is all about buying fabrics. I've already been on the hunt for mine and pretty much decided on THIS terracotta English Wool Coating

 Meg from McCalls asked if I actually wanted an unlined coat made from wool, which made me think about that? Yet I can't find anything else in this colour that I like as much! And besides, for me, this is all about the challenge and participating and not about wearing it lol. I mean, can you really see me wearing this lovely coat with my wellies and woolly hat, being blown across the seafront...?!!

Wish me luck, I think I'm gonna need it...!

Happy Sewing :)
Dawn

PS: anyone interested in taking part in the sewalong, check it out HERE it's not too late!




12 comments:

  1. As an occasional lurker, when I saw you were going ahead on the Mccalls website I just had to come out, since I think I'm in on this one too. It's gorgeous and I'm a real sucker for a tailoring project. But only if I find the right fabric. Your wool looks georgeous btw. I'm going fabric shopping in the next few days soon and am hoping to find a double faced/lined wool to overcome the next to skin issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with the fabric shopping! And very pleased to hear you are thinking of tagging along also :) I haven't ordered my fabric yet, I'm still looking just in case I spot something else. For me, using wool with no lining the issue would be getting it on and off over other layers rather than next to skin but I doubt I will wear this coat that much anyway! I'm also Not entirely convinced my current wool choice is sturdy enough but I just love it so much!
      But I'm in this for the challenge more than anything else. And it's making me make something that I so wouldn't have picked for myself. Keep me posted on your fabric shopping, I am interested to see what you find :) Do you have a blog?

      Delete
  2. I had some luck yesterday and got a lovely marled dark beige wool gabardine at the bargain price of £7.50 a metre. I've paired it with a plum silk taffeta for the buttonholes and binding. The lining cost more than the outer fabric! Like you I'm thinking it won't be easy to get it on and off so I'm seriously considering flatl-lining the coat with the taffeta instead of binding it, but I don't think it'll work on the curved seams. I do want to wear it. Like you tho I'm in it mostly for the ride. Also I'm a bad blogger. I've tried it but it doesn't do much for me I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Update from yesterday. I've prepped the wool gabardine and it's very smooth to the touch, so am happy not to have it lined. It reminds me of raincoat fabric, but thicker and more wooly. Can highly recommend it, if you're still on the look out for fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! So glad you've managed to source some fabric. And awesome fabric it sounds too! Im still awaiting some fabric samples (not much call for fabric shops where I live). Where did you find yours? It sounds perfect :) but knowing me I'll end up getting my first choice lol. I cut out all the pattern pieces tonight, I cant wait to get started!

      Delete
  4. I live in Leeds, Yorkshire and there's a great shop called Fabworks near her with lots of choices of wool. Thank goodness. I noticed when cutting out the pattern pieces that there seems to be plenty of ease at the bust and waist, yet the lady at Mccalls seems to think it ran small. Tbh I was going to go one size down from my normal size. Strange. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made my muslin last night and have to say, it did come up small on me. I cut my usual size but I definitely need to go bigger on this one, especially as I will be using a thicker fabric than my muslin. I'm going to try and make some adjustments or maybe just go up 2 sizes just in case! It fit around the shoulders beautifully but that was all! How lucky are you to find lots of ease?! :) Have you decided to cut a size smaller?
      Since speaking to you last I stumbled across some lovely brocade like fabric. I wasnt even looking for coat fabric at the time but it jumped out at me! And it's patterned; something else I wasnt looking for, but I can just see this coat made in it (and its half the price of the wool I was looking at.

      Delete
    2. The brocade sounds gorgeous. Just lovely, I'm envious. Also good to hear about your experience with the muslin. I'm doing mine this week and will err on the larger size, so will cut a 12 at the shoulders then grade out to a 14 everywhere else I think

      Delete
    3. Good luck with your muslin this week. Let me know how it goes. I need to make another one (bigger) but it will have to be next week now. So I'm glad I started early as I'd of gotten behind!

      Delete
  5. Not sure I'll get to finish my muslin/toile this weekend but pin fitting showed I need to shorten it above the waist (I'm 5ft 4") slightly and take off a massive 9cm from the sleeve length. I've attempted a forward shoulder adjustment too, will see how that looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! How's the muslin/toile going? Are you all fitted? I've gotten so used to hearing this called a muslin, I've adopted that word!! I've gone up 2 sizes to a 12 and this fits fine for me. I've just graded it back down to an 8 around the shoulders.
      I am struggling with obtaining my fabric though boo hoo :( I tried to order it but on checkout the basket went back to empty. I've emailed the company and they think that there may not be enough of the fabric left. On Sunday the lady was going to check but I've still not heard anything!! Phone call tomorrow me thinks but I need a plan B.... haha no pressure!

      Delete
    2. I finally finished the toile in a 14 and it's looking good, so my sis and hubby say. The adjustments all worked, including the slight forward shoulder, a result of too much time hunched over screens and desks over the years. So glad you got a good fit now but what a shame about the fabric. It's so hard to get good fabric these days but at least it's only 2.5metres you're looking for.

      Delete