Thursday, 13 November 2014

Just a mere Slip of a thing....


Don't you just hate that horrid static you get when wearing unlined dresses? Somehow I lost my one and only underskirt (which was originally the netted mermaid underskirt that I wore under my wedding dress, that I later shortened) in our house move, but I think it goes without saying I kind of needed more than one anyway!

So these were a necessity make for me but I so loved doing them! Before I left home as a mere youngster, I used to make underskirts, slips and nighties and sell them. So making these I was feeling  quite nostalgic. I have even used the same tricot fabrics that I used back then. I have metres and metres of this stuff so I know, I know, there was no excuse for previously having only one underskirt!

Un-be-known to me, my lovely Mum kept these fabrics for me over all those years! So when she announced that she still had them, after I began sewing again 2 years ago I was over the moon. (Thanks Mum!) They have come in so handy for lining jersey knit dresses, but for those unlined ones, I needed underskirts....


I made this black one first and used no pattern. I originally just cut a rectangle to the width and length measurements I required, just adding extra on the width for seam allowance and extra on the length for an elasticated casing. But you may have seen me previously mention that I do not like bulk around my middle (waist). AT ALL! Not even an underskirt! So as you may be able to tell I don't have a huge amount of elastic in these. I decided to narrow these at the waist by 3" and the elastic is loose so these will sit below my waistline. (I know, I'm weird!)

For a finishing touch, I just added a lace trim around the hemline and Va Va Voom, you're done!

I've since made this pink one



and this white one

But it's been so wet lately and the light has been so poor for taking photos, that separately, the pink and the white look pretty much the same! Plus my lady in red doesn't help matters!

But they are different... really they are!


Thanks for stopping by and taking time to read :)

Happy Sewing!
Dawn :)x

10 comments:

  1. These are all great. I've never made a slip but really need to because mine are all falling apart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! These were so easy and quick so no excuses Star! ;) x

      Delete
  2. Very pretty I have often thought about making my own slips but some how never quite got round to it. I love that this make has happy memories for you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy. This sort of thing is often one of those "round to it" makes! :)x

      Delete
  3. Aren't petticoats wonderful - so many people now have not seen them, and we get to see the result through their clothes - not a pretty sight. These are lovely - great little selection :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz. And yes, I totally agree with your comment! :)x

      Delete
  4. how neat to make your own slips, one day I'm going to venture out & make one lol!

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so easy to make Helen... go for it! :)x

      Delete