Saturday, 6 December 2014

Vogue 1419 ~ Sewalong Coat

DAH DAH!!! So here it is... the unveiling of V1419. The Coat that took up most of my sewing time throughout October and November!

I took on this project as exactly that. A project. This coat was all about learning new techniques and improving my skills. So when The V1419 Sewalong was introduced by Mccalls I knew I had to do this. I won't go into any detail about this as I talked about it on my blog before (twice) but for those who missed it or are reading this and actually want to read that too, you can get the info HERE and HERE

Anyhow, moving on, let's start with the fabric. Boy did I have trouble sourcing fabric for this pattern. I dont think I have sent off for soooo many samples since looking for fabric for my wedding coat. When I finally stumbled across a lovely brocade by pure chance, I wanted it for this coat so badly. But to cut a long story short and so as not to bore you with the details, it wasn't to be.

I think it tuned out for the best anyway as on making my toile (muslin) for this pattern I didn't like the A line on me at all. 

If there was any chance that I was going to wear this afterwards, I had to at least like the look of it on me! So I knew then, I wanted a softer fabric so it would have more drape. I came across this THIS corduroy with corded appliqué, which is smart yet casual. And also a little more practical and wearable for me than brocade.

I kind of went into this project blind, as I had no idea what I was taking on. I had done welt pockets before (once, back in the 80's) but never bound buttonholes or seams finished with binding. The seam finishing turned out to be much easier than I had thought (time consuming but fairly easy). Oh and what a fabulous finish! 
 Sleeve seam
tacking (basting) before topstitching!

Had it not been for all the seam binding this coat probably would have made up in no time at all!

I was so excited to get started on these bound seam finishes. But at the same time also quite anxious as this was another new one on me. I began with great caution determined to get it right. But after mastering the first couple and being rather impressed with myself at how well they turned out; i.e. neater (although not the neatest I'm sure!) than I expected, my confidence grew. I was loving this....err.... for a while...

The instructions went:
Baste seam, attach binding, stitch. Press. Baste Binding. Top Stitch 
Baste seam, attach binding, stitch. Press. Baste Binding. Top Stitch 
Baste seam, attach binding, stitch. Press. Baste Binding. Top Stitch 
Baste seam, attach binding, stitch. Press. Baste Binding. Top Stitch 

Ok, so you get the idea! So the coat was coming together but this was the entire process throughout umpteen amount of steps with nothing else different to do in-between.
Oh. My. God. Boy was I glad when it came to make up the welt pockets! Yes those seams were great but gees I'm not afraid to say I got slightly fed up of the monotony!

Speaking of the Welt Pockets, I have to say, I LOVED making these! And no, not because it was such a relief to get onto a new process (although that helped!). 
I had made welt pockets (once with and once without a flap) many, many years ago and from memory I don't recall finding them hard or having any issues. Same this time. And I even enjoyed finishing the pocket edges off with, yes you've guessed it.... binding!


I mean, check these out for a lovely clean finish. This beats overlocking!!



The instructions say to hand sew the binding down on the folded edge, which I did on the left side, but for the right hand side I stitched in the ditch as recommended by Lladybird Lauren using  my new #5 foot. I did both methods to see which I preferred. I suppose if I'm honest. you can't beat a bit of hidden hand sewing, it's soooo neat. But uhhh, I hate hand sewing. Loved stitching in the ditch with the special foot, but perhaps choosing to use it for the first time on a curved edge wasn't my best idea!

The Buttonholes were one of the very last things to do. Obviously. When Lauren said these were fiddly and time consuming SHE WAS NOT JOKING!! These are my first ever bound buttonholes and if I ever see another one again it will be too soon lol! Hand sewing is not my favourite friend and there was hours of hand sewing on these (10) bad boys! And that's excluding the 4 bar tacks on EACH one, making a total of 40. Arghh

This was my first ever attempt at bound buttonholes and taking that into account they are not that bad. But they are not that good either! I'm pretty sure Patrick and May would throw me off the Sewing Bee for these efforts. But hey, we've all got to do something for the first time and thanks to (Lladybird) Lauren  and Meg from McCalls I achieved everything that I set out to do by making this coat. 






I never made this coat as a wearable item, but as a project. But it's turned out Ok so I suppose you could say that this is my wearable muslin. For now when I see a coat pattern I like and want to make, (in the year dot haha ) I can do so with confidence.
 Those seam finishes are pretty awesome but in all said and done, you can't beat lining!
 But bound buttonholes...? hey bring it on...!

To Read My Sewing Pattern Review CLICK HERE

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to read :)

Happy Sewing!
Dawn :)x



12 comments:

  1. Dawn, I love your coat! It's a garment of beauty and quality. It's great when we have the courage to challenge our skills and come out better on the other side. Be proud of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Maureen! It was a long process but yes, worth it in the end. Thanks for the kind comments :)x

      Delete
  2. Well done Dawn you have done a great job the seam finishes and pockets look beautiful. The fabric is pretty special too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy :) I'm done with coats for a while but this was so worth it x

      Delete
  3. Dawn, I think you have made this coat very you! Sort of a Russian inspired Winter Queen.

    I'll bet you were fed up with the monotony of the same thing over and over - I suspect, like me, you are more of an ideas person with sewing. Some people love that sort of repetition though. But the finish does look fantastic.

    I hope you get lots of compliments when you wear this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah Liz you are the 2nd person to mention the Russian look to it. Yes a bit monotonous at times, but worth it :)x

      Delete
  4. You've done a great job Dawn, well done. Your styling too is impeccable. Just love the colour. I'm on the last leg myself, having completed one side of buttonholes I've just got the other side to finish and then the sleeve hems. Gotta say this project went on way too long for me. So much ironing and binding. never again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      And thanks for posting up as I have been wondering how yours was coming along? I agree the project went on far too long and with the monotony of the binding and ironing seam finishes I had to make a couple of easy projects in between. And thats not like me at all, to start something new before finishing something first! I would love to see yours when you're done please. I bet it will be wonderful :)x

      Delete
  5. Your coat is gorgeous Dawn! You look great and what fun you will have every time you wear it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa :) Hard work paid off :)x

      Delete
  6. Oh wow…your coat is amazing. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Bit too long a process but worth it :)x

      Delete