Sunday, 4 January 2015

McCalls 6209 ~ Poncho...? Perfect!


What a great little throw over this is. It all started when the Christmas Shopping began and I didn't know what to get for my one and only lovely Auntie. Feeling totally uninspired by the shops (I am the worlds worst shopper) I started thinking that a personal gift made by myself would be rather nice. I am not keen on making clothes for other people, often due to fit issues (taking the pleasure out of sewing) but also, as I have found in the past, you make something for one person, it starts to escalate and where do you draw the line at saying No? Has anyone else ever had this issue or are you happy to oblige?

So I picked McCalls 6209 because it's an easy make with no fit issues. And as Auntie knew nothing about this and also lives across the border in Wales, fitting something was a no-no for starters. So with no fitting required, said Aunt had a special handmade gift this Christmas. At least I hope she found it special! I made View E (bottom right)

This is Auntie's Poncho


Inspired by the poncho made by Meg from McCalls and rather chuft at how Auntie's turned out, I decided to make one for myself. 

And so this one is mine!

I made View E again and following the tip from Meg I found the centre points in the front and back and cut diagonally across from there to the end of the shoulder seams (making a triangle). 



I finished the edges by stretching the fabric as I overlocked (serged to my american friends!) it to create a  lettuce (wavy) effect. Although this is a jersey knit fabric, it doesn't have a huge amount of stretch so it's not as wavy as I'd  like, but hey, it works! And I likes it! No idea where the fabric came from exactly; it was a reduced remnant piece from eBay quite some time ago. It was meant for a dress but it turned into a poncho instead! I love its subtle colour mixes of blue, brown and white. Fabric for Auntie's Poncho came from Minerva Crafts



I remember wearing a (pink and white crocheted!) Poncho when I was about 5 years old and never thought I'd see the day where I would wear one again. I have always associated ponchos with my childhood but they seem to be everywhere at the moment. This is what I love about sewing; it makes me make things that I would never dream of wearing if I didn't sew. Now I have something that I can just throw on when I'm feeling the chill! And this is so light and small it's even perfect just to pop on in the sewing room... where I currently have no heating.... yet! :)




To Read My Sewing Pattern Review CLICK HERE

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to read :)

Happy Sewing!
Dawn :)x

11 comments:

  1. I like both. They look pretty and comfy.
    You are a very sweet person Dawn, I am sure your aunt will love it :)
    Happy New Year and I look forward to see your 2015 garments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hana, Happy New Year to you too! :)x

      Delete
  2. Just finish making view A of that pattern. Yours is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye. Look forward to seeing yours :)x

      Delete
  3. Both are great! I'm sure your Auntie will be very happy and warm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This pattern is showing up right and left in so many cute variations. I am going to have to jump on the band wagon and get this pattern and make myself one. I love how yours turned out, and will try Meg's tip out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Highly recommend you give it a go. It would suit you too! :)

      Delete
  6. I love ponchos and capes…your version is fabulous! Love it!

    ReplyDelete