Saturday, 24 January 2015

Papercut Patterns ~ Circle Top


This is only the second Indie pattern that I have tried (the first being my Minoru Jacket from Sewaholic ). When it arrived in the post, I didn't even realise what it was until I opened it. So how surprised was I to find the sewing pattern I had ordered in a beautifully packaged box with a proper photograph on the front.


Isn't this just lovely?! It was almost a shame to break the seal! But when you do, this beautifully package of a box actually becomes a hanger! How cool is that? Inside, the pattern and the instructions are printed on sturdy recyled paper (almost like that brown parcel paper you buy) and even more cute is that you can cut out the instructions bit 

which starts out like this

and with a tiny bit of glue and some folding, you can make it into a cute little booklet like this!

I've wanted to try another indie pattern for quite some time now; but I fall so easily for The Big 4 who bring out patterns faster than I can sew them, it just doesn't happen. When the theme for this months MAGAM challenge was to "Try Something New" I saw this as my opportunity to do it now. This is the Papercut Circle Top which I have had my eye on for sometime. Simply because, throw overs are something I both lack and need!

Being in the UK, I ordered my Pattern (which was reduced at the time.. YaaY!) from http://www.sewbox.co.uk. I hadn't used this website before, but man these guys are super fast on delivery. Ordered late one evening, delivered within 36 hours. That's what I call service! It came that fast I actually felt kinda guilty for not whipping it out of the envelope and making a start on it straight away!

This top is one of the quickest, easiest things you could make. It's so simple in both construction and style yet the amazing thing is how versatile it actually is to wear. As you can see from the pattern diagram it looks like this



Yes, basically that's it! Its literally just a circle with sleeves in it. There are no seams, the armholes are cut out of the circle.
And yet it can be worn so many different ways....

With a shawl collar

Pulled forward (a brooch would be nice here but I didn't have one to demonstrate!) making it less long at the back

 Belted

Or loosely over the shoulders

Or you can even drape it over your head if you so wish!

Hmmm somehow, I don't think I will be wishing to wear it this way myself! ;)

But my favourite way to wear it is the loosely over the shoulders look. Just check out how naturally it just cascades down the body. Nice :)


I chose a loose knit fabric from Minerva Crafts which has a colourful print on the outside, but the inside (wrong side) the fabric is like a black and white marl. I chose this purposely for contrast as it can be seen whilst worn. If you don't like the wrong side of your fabric, you will need to choose something different for this top. It doesn't specify on the pattern that the wrong side will show, but it does. I guess that's obvious to a more experienced sewer but a beginner may not realise.



This is the perfect little cover up. Everyone should have one of these and everyone should own the Papercut Patterns Circle top! :)






Thanks for stopping by and taking time to read :)

Happy Sewing!
Dawn :)x

17 comments:

  1. This is super cute! I just have to get this pattern now. Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a gal from the Pattern Review Website. OMG I LOVE this! And it looks so good on you. Wanna make one too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becky! And go for it, it's such a fun top :)x

      Delete
  3. That is just gorgeous - from beginning to end - doesn't it make for a good experience when the packing is so lovely - it sort of carries through the whole process. This top is just so you - feminine, flirty and ruffly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dawn I agree with Sarah it's the perfect top for you who would have thought a circle with sleeves could look so great. The pattern packaging is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy. Thumbs up for the packaging me thinks! :)x

      Delete
  5. You really can't tell how cute it is just looking at the pattern! I love it! Buying it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Constance. It's underrated! Hope you enjoy making yours :)x

      Delete
  6. Lovely. You suit it so well. Very interesting packaging, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely. You suit it so well. Very interesting packaging, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this on you! What a great pattern!

    ReplyDelete