Friday, 27 February 2015

Colette Patterns 1029 ~ Meet Mabel....


I read somewhere in sewing blog world that it's easy to have too much frosting and not enough cake. But when it comes to making something nice (frosting) or something practical (cake), it's so easy to fall into the frosting category.
I have been following the blog of Lladybird Lauren these past few months and there is one gal that knows her cake. Talk about a practical, wearable wardrobe! 

So now it's my turn for a bit of cake. Having a recently new dressing room and sorting out clothes, I noticed that my work wardrobe is looking rather tired and decided I need to replace some of it ready for when our season kicks off in spring. I've always bought my work clothes and hands up, I admit, that was going to be the plan again. But then I asked myself, well why? I need a couple of skirts and a couple of pairs of trousers so why not make them? Sadly my work wardrobe is restricted to black skirts or trousers and I hate working with black. But not to be deterred...!!

This is my favourite skirt for work (not made). It's practical, durable and best of all it's comfortable being a stretch jersey knit and has no bulk around my middle or any fastenings. (Yes I know it's crumpled, the light picked out every lump and bump!)


The theme this month for the MAGAM challenge was to fashion something, so this worked out perfectly for me and gave me something more to aim for other than just " a work skirt in black".
In my quest to find a pattern to replicate the above, I came across Mabel from Colette Patterns.

Bingo. Just what I was looking for.

I made Version 3 and I think it's a pretty good match! 

Yes, Yes, another crumpled photo! Believe me this IS pressed!! But if I changed the light, the skirt detail wasn't as easy to see


But you get the idea. It's basically just a straight skirt with side front panels and a waistband. That's it. It's not very exciting in black, especially on photos!

To keep in with the comfort theme, I purchased from Calico Lane this cotton jersey knit. Work gets very hot in summer (Air con? What's that...?!!) so none of those sweaty synthetic fibres for me thank you very much!
The fabric is quite thin (like what you would use to make a t shirt) so I basically made 2 skirts and lined the skirt with the skirt number 2 to give it some substance. I omitted the side front seams for the lining, but basically made them up the same and just joined them together at the waistband seam (as shown here below where my pins are) and then joined them to the waistband as one. Just as you would any normal lining.


This is my introduction to another Indie pattern company. It's so interesting to see how different pattern companies put these things together. Colette patterns do not disappoint. The instructions come in a little mini booklet with the pattern pieces tucked in a little envelope at the back.


These instructions are written for a complete novice so anyone could make this. There is also a Sewalong available, although I didn't use it so I can't comment on what it's like.
It's been 2 or 3 weeks since I made this so I cant remember which size I cut. I think it was a Small? But whatever it was, it fit perfectly. I made the skirt as per the instructions, although I did omit the back vent. I didn't see the need for it. I used my over-locker for all the seams and twin needled the hem. I understitched the waistband as a personal preference. 

This skirt is super comfy, practical and easy to wear. It's just what I need for work to replace my old RTW but I am already imagining it in some striped fabric and playing about with those stripes!

I struggled to get a decent photo of me wearing it, but hey, it's just a plain black skirt. No excitement necessary...!

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to read :)

Happy Sewing!
Dawn :) x







11 comments:

  1. Props for contributing to your practical wardrobe! I'm definitely a "frosting" person, and struggle with the "cake". It's just so much funner to make fancy clothes, and sewing is supposed to be fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here Anelise! The frosting is so much more fun and exciting. Can't wait to get the work wardrobe done and onto better things!! :)x

      Delete
  2. Great skirt! I agree with the cake and frosting reference. I tend to sew too much frosting hence I never seen to have anything to wear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same same Star. The work wardrobe is sadly a must.Can't wait for more frosting.... :) x

      Delete
  3. Mable is a friend of mine. I've made 3. Can't wait to make several summer versions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great pattern Faye. I've made 2 (both the same) and can't wait to do some more in colour lol :) x

      Delete
  4. Mable is a friend of mine. I've made 3. Can't wait to make several summer versions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are pretty skirts! I have the same problem as you when sewing a black garment. Can not show the details :(

    Well, your Mabels turned out so nicely and for sure you will wear them a lot in the coming season :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hana. Yes, although hardly exciting to look at, these will get worn Loads. Until they are threadbare probably! :) x

      Delete
  6. It's a great skirt Dawn - and in the fabrics that you will want to wear. Sewing black is a pain, especially at night, but I'll bet you are glad you made this instead of buying it now - and making that pattern up has fired your imagination up. Win !

    P.S. I didn't know that sergers/overlockers had different width needleplates that work with stitch width. I'm not very technical that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz! yes glad I made this and it will get worn loads so that makes it all worth while.
      I only found out about the overlocker plates after you told me the width of yours. I checked in my manual and it said my width plate was 3.5mm (or 3? cant remember which) but for a 5mm I had to change the plate. I can alter the stitch length by adjusting the knob but the for my machine the width is a plate. I also found out that my machine has a rolled hem plate. Yet to try that out! xx

      Delete