Sunday, 8 February 2015

Simplicity 1321 ~ Check Mate Monochrome

Hello Everyone


It was time for something a little more versatile. Black and white. Well it goes with everything doesn't it?

 I have mentioned before that I don't do skirts very often. As in, I don't wear them all that much other than for work. So I am trying to change that. I picked View C from Simplicity 1321 to start the impending change. It has no waistband (a must for me to wear this), great seam detail and a flounced, pleated hem.


As we are in the midst of Winter here in the UK I picked a wool blend fabric HERE from Calico lane. I have only recently started using this company and have to say that I am impressed. This fabric is beautiful and reasonably priced too. The service is amazing and I have since purchased more fabric of equally good quality.
Anyhow, back to the fabric in question. Due to the seam detail on this skirt I opted to go for a check. Call me weird but I love playing around with stripes and checks on patterns.

This is the back. Not looking a lot different to the front!

Although looking pretty good on the main skirt part, using the checked fabric didn't benefit so much for the inverted pleats as they are  totally lost in my fabric choice. It's not helped because the pleats are also in a flounce! I like it though. It's typical me-style with it's flippy little hem and the fabric is Lush. It's just so soft, drapes lovely and makes up to perfection.

I've opened out the flounce here so you can just about see one of the inverted pleats.

Oh, and speaking of the flounce, for personal preference I shortened it by about 3cms.

The pattern calls for the flounce to not only be entirely interfaced, but also faced with the same fabric. The pattern piece said to Cut 4 and I actually thought it was a mis-print until I read the instructions! I didn't want my flounce stiff so I omitted the interfacing and with this being a woven wool blend my fabric is also quite thick, so I didn't want it faced either. This skirt pattern is unlined so instead I just did a basic straight skirt lining and left my flounce soft and flippy.


It wasn't until completion of this skirt that I became fully aware that I only own 2 big jumpers! So much for it going everything haha ;) ! I do have thinner jumpers and cardigans etc but that's it. The jumper I'm wearing here is one I made for our New York trip at Christmas in 2013 (blogged here). And the remaining boucle from this was what I used for my recent oversize top HERE


This is one of the very few times that I have posted my main pictures with Dolly wearing my make and not myself. It didn't seem to matter where the photos were taken of me wearing this skirt, for once I have to say that Dolly shows it's true detail better than I do!



Even outside, Dolly still wears it's detail better!


But it's a great little skirt and I love it.


To Read My Sewing Pattern Review CLICK HERE

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to read :)

Happy Sewing!
Dawn x

15 comments:

  1. Love your skirt! Black and white is such a classic color combo. I love it with the bright color top you paired it with. I think it was a good decision for you to leave the flounce soft and floppy. And the way you placed the check makes it such a fun skirt. Great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great skirt! I like the inverted pleats on the flounce. You would never know they are there from the pattern envelope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute, fun skirt and so you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uhmm no. YOU are wearing it better than Dolly!!! I was on the fence about this pattern but I *LOVE* it on you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I agree with Mrs Smith - it's great to see the skirt in action and how it moves - looks great on you. I like the Dolly photos as well, as you say, easier to see some of the detail. But for feel and movement, and how it really will work, I love the other photos.

    This is a great skirt Dawn - I like skirts and tights in winter, sometimes I think it's warmer than trousers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Sarah Liz :) And I totally agree skirts ans tights are warmer than trousers. I hardly ever wear trousers in winter x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saw your skirt on Pattern Review. Its gorgeous and I love the flounce with middle panel on the bias��

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this skirt! I love how you used the same fabric for the whole thing, and yet the direction that the fabric is turned makes it so interesting (especially love the bias-cut piece in the front). Plus it fits you perfectly. You look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this skirt! I love how you used the same fabric for the whole thing, and yet the direction that the fabric is turned makes it so interesting (especially love the bias-cut piece in the front). Plus it fits you perfectly. You look great :)

    ReplyDelete