Saturday, 28 March 2015

McCalls 6841 ~ Hot Pink!

Check out this awesome bright colour!! Woo hoo how I relished in making this top


Now that the sewing of my work wardrobe, consisting of black, black and only black is over, I picked the hottest, brightest colour I could find to make McCall's 6841

I saw so many fabulous versions of this pattern last year, that even though this is not normally the style of top I would wear, I just had to get this pattern to give it a try. I bought it at the back end of last Summer, but didn't get around to making it. Then Autumn came and went, Winter arrived, and before I knew it, it was too cold for a top like this.
But hey, it's now March (meaning almost Spring right? Not that you'd notice here in the UK) and the March MAGAM is to "March into Spring" Perfect for my need of a hot colour and to finally make up this pattern



The way this top goes together is just sheer genius. I read through the instructions first and got the general gist of it, but it wasn't until I started to make this up that I actually realised exactly how this works. At Step 7 I am left wondering how on earth that will work but I ride with it, and it really, really does! 
Sorry this is the wrong way up... for the life of me I couldn't get this to rotate and save!
And it's easy. No wonder this pattern is so highly rated. It certainly gets my vote too.

In the past I have always had a tendency to shy away from loose fitting things, but because of my sewing, and making things out of my comfort zone, I am slowly being converted. And although this is a loose fit, what I do like is how it sits at the back. It doesn't hang all loose, it sits on the hips.


I used a cerise pink Jersey Viscose fabric from Minerva Crafts. It's no longer available but they do have similar. To stop the hem from stretching on this fine knit, I used this awesome Washaway Wonder Tape before sewing
This stuff is AMAZING!!

I cut this top with the 3/4 length sleeves but on completion I didn't like them. Not unusual at all for me that; Ooooh I do like my arms proper covered! But I wanted to give it a go in hope that I may become converted. Errr, not so! I was constantly trying to pull them down, so with fabric I had left over, I added some wide cuffs.

Love, Love Love!!!




In fact I love this top sooooo much, fabric for top number 2 is already purchased



To Read My Sewing Pattern Review Click Here

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to read :)

Happy Sewing!
Dawn :)x


12 comments:

  1. Interesting pattern instruction. I will have to take your word for it that it's easy - it looks strange to me. Great colour Dawn and the wide cuffs look good. We must have similar fabric taste because I have had my eye on your 2nd fabric choice for a while but I' m trying to refrain from buying any more fabric until I have used up some of my stash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that too Tracy, but once you're doing it and its in front of you, it's easier than it looks. Fancy you looking at that same patterned fabric! Buy it! It would be fun to see two different makes from it :) x

      Delete
  2. Great looking blouse and a luscious color! Just perfect for springtime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Star. All we need now is the Springtime! x

      Delete
  3. Love your blouse! So pretty and bright color suit you well :) I like your skirt, do you make it too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hana. And yes I made the skirt also.
      http://dawn-whitham-holloway.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/vogue-8939-with-burda-7015.html

      I blogged it here with a jumper I also made x

      Delete
  4. I think the cuffs make this garment - the slim fit balances out the large cowl. I think this is a great transitional piece - you can wear a thermal under it, or layer a cardi over it. Love the colour especially :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz. And what a great idea about wearing something underneath it. I hadn't thought of that! I am still getting used to wearing baggier things. Although I am getting used to it, and I do rather like this one a lot, I still remain more comfortable in something more fitted. It's our build isnt it? x

      Delete
  5. Cute top! I also like the cuffs and think the color suits you well. You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a hotty - colour really suits you. lovely to see a style variation too drapes are so flattering xx

    ReplyDelete