Tuesday, 21 April 2015

Butterick 5928 ~ Pinky Peplum Gilet


This top came about by accident really. I stumbled across an outfit I liked whilst looking for something else on Pinterest.
There is just something about it that caught my eye and suddenly I was distracted from what I was originally looking for and decided I wanted a similar version of this. Only not in black!

This is my version

The pattern I used is Butterick 5928. Better shown here by the pattern diagram. This has the waterfall collar that I wanted and also a shaped peplum which I love, so I made View A.


The pattern states that this is both fast and easy. I wouldn't exactly say its fast; after all, it's lined, therefore you are basically making this up twice. There is also a lot of time consuming pressing. I have no complaints about either of these (I love anything lined), but I do disagree that this is fast to make. I also had a an issue with the lining being sewn to the jacket at the hemline. It just didn't hang right at the back so I ended up unpicking mine, and hemmed each of them separately.  

Here both fabrics were wanting to pull in different directions, pulling it out of shape
Before (lining stitched to jacket)


And with the lining hemmed separately
AFTER -( Lining separate)

This solved the problem!

As a pattern, it doesn't seem all that popular, nor does it get all that great reviews. I had a couple of issues with it and it does come up big (I had to take quite a bit in at the CB and side back seams). But that said, although I am a bit on the fence with the pattern itself, it was totally worth it because I really like the end result. In hindsight I should have chosen a fabric that creases a little less, but I was just so taken with the look and texture!

Fabric used is polyester viscose woven which has lovely tulle detail all over it. I chose it especially for this top as I wanted a textured random pattern. This fit the bill perfectly. It's available here from Minerva Crafts.

It's rare I do sleeveless unless it's a summer dress, but I actually love this look. I am kind of wondering if my comfort zone will however always put me wearing this with sleeves? But for now, I'm rocking a whole new look!




You can read in more detail about this pattern in my Pattern Review HERE

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to read :)

Happy sewing!
Dawn :)x

8 comments:

  1. I love it! The top look so pretty at the front and back. Glad that you solved the hem issue :)
    Pretty fabric as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! That is super cute! I would not have given that pattern a second look until seeing your top. That is fab and you are rockin it great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Star! And I agree, as the pattern envelope is hardly flattering! x

      Delete
  3. I think this little vest looks wonderful - you could wear it over a jumper as well. Not sure why it gets poor reviews, because it looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz. And I'm sure I will wear this much more with long sleeves. I need to now, our Spring seems to have been and gone! x

      Delete
  4. I love this on you, the way it fits and the fabric you chose makes this look super cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words! :)x

      Delete