Sunday, 31 May 2015

Butterick See and Sew 5972 ~ Under The Apple Tree



Congratulations to me!! Wearing a summer dress for the first time this year (and not just for photos!)
Wore this all day and loved it. And to think I contemplated at one stage not even finishing it...

This is a Butterick See and Sew pattern and I think we can clearly say that I saw this and sewed it, without reading the pattern envelope properly first!
Yes the more observant of you will have noticed that I made a slight boo boo with this. The pattern on my fabric doesn't match on the bodice. It clearly states on the back of the pattern envelope "unsuitable for obvious diagonals" (which I failed to read). But hey the pattern on my fabric is maybe a bit diagonal but it's not "obvious" right? Well it clearly wasn't to me when I was cutting it out!


But hey ho, I had 2 choices; to either ditch it or just carry on regardless. And as you are looking at me wearing this dress, it doesn't take a genius to see that I took the latter option.

I figured that as the pattern cost me a grand total of £1 and the fabric £4, why wouldn't I? For the sake of £5 I thought I'd have a perfectly wearable dress to potter about the house in. But you know what... I love this dress!! Despite the fact the pattern matching is a bit out, this is my favourite sew in a long time.  I only wore it at home the other day but let's face it, I'm pretty sure if I wear this out and about hardly anyone would notice.


With the exception of the pattern photo on the envelope(!) I loved everything about this pattern. Loved the construction, love the style, fit, practicality, all those gathers, and the finished result. 


The pattern is a now OOP Butterick 5972  from the Making History collection, and I only bought it because it was £1. The pattern envelope looks rather dated (hence the Making History) but sometimes you just have to look past what's right in front of you. And all this needed was a few tweeks and a more up-to-date fabric (preferably one without obvious diagonals!!)

I made a couple of amendments by replacing the elasticated sleeves for sleeves gathered onto a self-drafted cuff and I stitched down the wrapover front to avoid gaping. 
I also interfaced the yoke pieces. I have no idea why pattern companies don't tell you to do this. 


The back bodice is gathered onto the yoke

The waist is elasticated which makes for easy wearing and gives that lovely blouson effect worn with an (also elasticated!) belt

And the best feature of all...

....all these gathers in the skirt. Yaay! :)

I can definitely seeing me making this again should we be lucky enough to get a holiday in the sun later this year!

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to read.

Happy Sewing!
Dawn :)x

9 comments:

  1. Very cute! I'm lovin that fabric and I think it works perfectly for the dress. Congrats on the warmer weather too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Star!
      The warm weather lasted for that one day only! Fortunately that was my one day off :)x

      Delete
  2. Beautiful dress! Your version is so much nicer than the version depicted on the pattern envelope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have to really look hard to see a problem with the diagonal lines in this dress - it just looks nice and swirly all over. So I am glad you finished it. It is very pretty, very you - and I hope you had a nice day wearing this and weren't bogged down with summer season work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz. I barely notice it now. Wore it on my one day off as we had just the weather for it x

      Delete
  4. Very pretty dress! Honestly, I didn't see any problem. Your dress turned out so nicely and it looks great on you :)
    Love the print and back drop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana. Glad you didn't spot the off pattern print! x

      Delete
  5. This design has been resurrected in Butterick 5878, which I purchased at the end of summer 2016. Your dress is lovely, and the print issue is not noticeable.

    ReplyDelete