Wednesday, 20 May 2015

McCalls 7054 ~ A bit of Boho Chic

Let's not get excited, this post isn't about the (purchased!) top, but the skirt. Yes, this (black) skirt.

I made this skirt back in February but didn't blog it as everything else I was blogging at the time was also black! We have had an influx of visitors of late so as I haven't had much time for sewing, I thought I'd fill the gap with this little number. 


I bought this pattern on a whim. Saw the fluted hem, so I bagged it. Totally not realising until afterwards that I didn't really need it. I could have just adapted previously made Simplicity 1321. But hey ho, it saved me from having to alter the flounce and also get that beautiful dipped curve right. I made View A. I was pretty ok at pattern cutting in college many moons ago, but I guess I'm too lazy to have a go these days. I just want to just jump straight on in there and get sewing!

Love this little skirt, but I didn't love so much the lack of detail in construction. It's a flat front but the waistline isn't faced, nor interfaced. It's lined, I'll give it that (that's a love btw) but there is just no structure to it at all. It doesn't even specify to stay stitch the waistline! I didn't face my waist onto the lining but I did interface it.

Pleased with the end result though. And its so practical to wear because of the flat front (no waistband) and the fabric doesn't crease.




I originally bought this crepe fabric from Minerva Crafts to make a skirt for work (hence why it's black) but the drape of the fabric is just so soft, it seemed such a shame not to make it into a pretty little skirt with a flounce. So I somewhat got distracted from work clothes and made this instead! I also had some black lace fabric kindly forwarded on to me last summer by the lovely Amanda from wearawyatt.blogspot.co.uk/ which I could just visualise for the lower flounce. So yes OK it's black but it's pretty and it goes with a multitude of tops.

The lace lower flounce

The top I am wearing here isn't made (don't shoot me!) I purchased it from Sheinside for the bargain price of £12 with free P&P. And as I'm not up for doing (or interested in) machine embroidery I feel no remorse for buying it! Plus, it's pretty cute and goes so well with the (now not so) new skirt and my super Handmade Laidback London Boots

I have to give the boots a mention of their very own because they are just super, super awesome! Imagine wearing your favourite warm, cosy comfy slippers out and about all all day? Well that's just what these beauties feel like. And they are perfect for our currently typical British Spring weather (cold!)


For My Sewing Pattern Review Click here

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to read :)

Happy Sewing!
Dawn x

11 comments:

  1. Very cute! I don't recall seeing this pattern before. Yours looks very nice. Love the lace flounce too and who doesn't love comfy shoes. It's a win win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think there is anything wrong with adding to the pattern stash instead of drafting your own. You are busy with work, and have limited time, so I think this is a good solution. Plus I also find the pattern envelopes are good reminders of ideas you want to make, plus a source of inspiration.

    It is a very pretty skirt - and I love the lovely lace layer - a very pretty effect. As for the boots, I'm a great believer in warm comfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz! Had a bit of a pattern splurge of late.... more patterns than time to sew! :)x

      Delete
  3. Very pretty skirt! Me too, love the lace flounce and your boots is so adorable. I wish I could find similar boots like that in my place :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana! And These boots are my favourite xx

      Delete
  4. Very pretty and versatile skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The amount of times I've bought a new pattern and then realised I have one ...just like it Phaffff love new patterns 😊lovin the lace usage never would of thought that one ..great staple sew too with hint of flirty fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a pattern addiction right now lol! And still have more lace left for another project... YaaY! x

      Delete
  6. The amount of times I've bought a new pattern and then realised I have one ...just like it Phaffff love new patterns 😊lovin the lace usage never would of thought that one ..great staple sew too with hint of flirty fun

    ReplyDelete