Saturday, 9 May 2015

Vogue 8873 ~ Blooming Blue Flowers

April MAGAM completed

I have had this dress finished for about 3 weeks. So although I missed the end of the month for taking photos and posting, I did actually finish my April MAGAM in April!

The theme for this month's MAGAM challenge was Coloured Showers, Blooming Flowers. We were in the midst of the beginning of Spring when I chose the Blooming Flowers for my project this month, but Spring came, teased us with some lovely sunshine and then Spring went again! 

But despite the down turn in weather, the flowers in our garden are still blooming, and to put me in good sewing spirits, at least I had the Spring sunshine, shining through my sewing room windows whilst making this dress.



It's been a while (too long) since I last made a dress so I was very excited to get started on this one. My pattern is Vogue 8873 and I made View D
The pattern states that this dress is close fitting. It's not. And proving this fact is the model wearing it
Hmmm what's fitted about this?!

I made my usual size 8 but had to take it in quite a bit on the centre back to get it to fit nicely but without being too clingy. And yet even with taking in the excess, I still managed to get it over my head without putting in the zip. Bonus!


The bodice is lined (yaay!) although I wasn't keen on Vogue's method of doing this. I used tricot for my lining.
I'm not sure what the dress fabric is but it's just gorgeous. And it was only £3 a metre!! It's silky soft but of a decent weight. It's also textured which is what drew me to it in the first place

And this is going to be fabulous for holidays because it doesn't crease at all.

What I like about this dress is the cowl neckline and that underneath is a lovely square neckline. I really should have taken a photo of this before adding the over bodice. But if I make this pattern again, I would make it for sure without the over bodice as it would look just as lovely without as it does with.


I made this dress with the full skirt because it was perfect for my fabric. The pattern states to cut the skirt on the bias but I didn't think my fabric needed it and cut the front skirt on the fold to avoid the seam. I happy with how this turned out so it was a good choice.


The only thing I am not happy with is the length. But I didn't have enough fabric to make it any longer. That's what happens when I buy fabric without a pattern in mind! I'll live with it for now, but I'm wondering if this would look ok by adding a navy or white band at the hemline?



Not sure how much wear I will get out of this as I don't see much of summer, so would it be worth the effort? But it will definitely be going on our next (warm!) holiday. Added hem or no added hem...!

To read my Sewing Pattern Review CLICK HERE

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to read :)

Happy Sewing!
Dawn :)x



19 comments:

  1. Very nice. I think the length looks fine. I wouldn't add a contrasting band to the bottom. Looks great as is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Star. You and everyone else seem to be in agreement! :)x

      Delete
  2. Pretty dress, Dawn! I agree with Stars, the length is perfect for you. Love the cowl neck and the dress suits you perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't add a band - navy would weigh the dress down, and white would make the eye focus on the band and not the beautiful neckline and your lovely small waist and pretty face. Keep the eyes up :).

    Such a pretty fabric and a really nice cut on you - I hope you get plenty of opportunity to wear it when you finally go on your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good advise Sarah Liz. And thank you :)x

      Delete
  4. Beautiful darling.. and yes the concensus is out the length is perfect ! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got to put my oar in too, the skirt is absolutely a perfect length on you. It was one of the first things I noticed on MAGAM. I thought how clever you had been to get it so right. Where did the fabric come from, if you don't mind me asking? Trish S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trish, thank you for the opinion. I am definitely leaving it as I seem to be the only one who wasn't sure! I think we can safely say I am now convinced it's ok!
      I purchased the fabric on a shopping trip to Birmingham Rag Market UK. It's quite far from where I live but cant wait to go back for a top up on fabrics x

      Delete
    2. Thanks Dawn. It's lovely but that's a bit far away for me. Hope I come across it in my travels. TS

      Delete
    3. I am hoping to go again in the autumn. It's miles from me also (260) Not sure if there will be any left by then but if there is I can get some for you x

      Delete
    4. Thanks Dawn, but I think I should pass. If it had been local, I should be terribly tempted, but since my sewing room is awash with potential projects, I'd better not. Thanks so much for the offer though.

      Delete
  6. I'm another who thinks the dress is the perfect length, especially for summer. I think a navy or white band would spoil the lovely line of the skirt and the fabric is beautiful. A thoroughly gorgeous dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy. It stays as it is! :)x

      Delete
  7. Looks like the jury's out on this one. Thanks everyone, guess I'm leaving it as it is! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think you need to make the dress longer. You have fantastic legs for this skirt length. The fabric is really awesome. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete