Thursday, 25 June 2015

McCalls 6708 ~ Peachy loves Brumby



I've wanted to make a cardigan for ages. But finding the right pattern seemed to fail me. So it's something that was put on the back burner until the right pattern came along.
I finally came across the Jenna Cardigan by Muse but was disappointed to find that it wasn't available as a printed pattern. Sticking together lots of A4 sheets does not appeal to me at all! But after debating with myself for some time, I decided to go with the PDF because I loved the style so much. Kinda figured all the sticking would be worth it! So you can imagine how gutted I was to discover that our printer is not compatible for printing the PDF. No matter what settings I tried, it never came up to scale. Boo hoo for me.

But still intent on making a cardigan, I eventually decided to go back to McCalls 6708 which I had seen some months before. 

This came about because I had just bought the pattern for my Brumby skirt and Brumby is so right for a little cropped top. I think I bought the cardigan pattern just in the nick of time as already it is now OOP. I remember seeing this McCalls cardigan pattern some time ago but it wasn't what I was after at that time. But with Brumby in the making, this now fit the bill to not only full-fill my cardigan make but also for a suitable cropped top for Brumby. 

I made View A but with the long sleeves.
The Peachy fabric I have had laying about on my shelf since before we moved house. It's not the best quality fabric in the world and I have no idea where it came from but when Brumby fabric arrived I couldn't resist using it for the cardigan because the peachy colours just went so lovely together.... 
As shown here with Brumby herself.

(Apologies for the above not so great photos)

I even added some black and gold buttons to bring the ensemble together.

This cardigan is the 2nd of my June MAGAM projects (Brumby being the first). The theme this month is Stash Busting. But as I don't really have much of a stash, I got to use what is probably the piece of fabric that I have had the longest. So that kinda counts, right?!

I did wonder on completion, if I should have made this a little bit shorter so it didn't hide that wonderful Brumby waistband. Yes, that would have looked nice (better even), but then when I tried this on with other things, it became apparent that it would have been too short to wear with anything else!



Not too much to say about the pattern really. It's an easy make as the pattern envelope states and it goes together really quickly with an overlocker. 
Peachy looks a little too home made for my liking, possibly due to the quality of fabric (or lack of it) but I do think that Peachy and Brumby will be very happy together. And don't they just make the perfect couple?!



Thanks for stopping by and taking time to read :)

Happy Sewing!
Dawn :)x





17 comments:

  1. Very cute! It does go perfectly with Brumby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree these two look lovely together

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a chuckle at the homemade bit - I was just thinking that about something I made! So lets call it casual, cute and comfy - it looks great, actually, and not as homemade as you think - I think it's a lovely comfy jacket sort of cardigan and it really looks fantastic with those teal jeans. And the Brumby :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz. I actually prefer it with Jeans than I do the skirt! Funny how we think some things arent as good as they actually appear to others x

      Delete
  4. And congrats for getting an ancient bit of not great fabric out of the stash and into something really very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Im glad that piece has gone; room for something much nicer now :) x

      Delete
  5. So cute. That peach color on you is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love your new cardigan and it looks great with Brumby. Those buttons are perfect addition. Nice work and the color suits you beautifully :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! Agree with Sarah Liz that it's terrific with your teal jeans too. Versatile to dress it up with your gorgeous skirt, or go casual with jeans equals a wardrobe winner in my book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments Lisa :) x

      Delete
  8. Great makes! I love how the cardigan looks with both the skirt and the teal jeans - I had no idea I liked peach so much!

    Can I ask about the pattern neckline? Did you change it at all, or it's exactly from the pattern? It's just interesting to me that the pattern version and your version seem quite different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hi Emily, thanks for the comments :)
      In answer to your question, I raised the neckline by just 1". It looks a lot lower on the pattern. I thought I would need to raise it by 2-3" but 1" was all that I needed x

      Delete