Thursday, 11 June 2015

Simplicity 5914 ~ Summer Skirt


I made this skirt a few weeks back for my Mum using one of her own old faithful patterns, Simplicity 5914. I'm pretty sure she has had this pattern 10+ years so I think we can safely say its now discontinued! That said, there are a few kicking around on Etsy and eBay.

I made View B but lengthened it a little for Mum's preference. Mum has made this pattern for herself several times over the years so there was no fitting required; she had already done it for me!

It's a pattern meant for woven fabrics, but works just as well in a stretch knit as shown here, modelled beautifully by Mum herself :)


The fabric was from our February Shopping spree at Birmingham's Rag Market. It's a printed cotton jersey so we decided to do without the zip and go for an elasticated waist instead which I finished with a twin needle.

Being a cotton jersey, it is also quite thin so I added a lining with some Tricot that I already had, and finished the lining hem with some decorative lace.



And on the subject of hems.... I am soooo excited to talk about my new toy.
Check out this little gem!


Yes! I finally have my very own walking foot. I sew a lot of jersey fabrics so have wanted to get one of these beauties for months. Here in the UK they seem to be around £50 each but I managed to pick this one up from eBay at a bargain price, so I bagged it! But this is sooo good, I'd say that even at £50 it would be money well spent. I am certainly going to get my moneys worth out of it. Mine didn't come with instructions but I found THIS fabulous tutorial which showed me everything I needed to know.

I have tried all sorts to stop those wavy hems on stretch knits and whilst wonder tape and bias interfacing are good, they are definitely not as good as the walking foot. I say to anyone out there not sure whether to spend the money on one, do it. You won't regret it.
Just look at this hem...

I did do a practise piece first but I used Mum's skirt as the real guinea pig (sorry Mom!). Chuft, chuft chuft! Doesn't that hem just look so awesome?!

We bought 2 metres of this cotton jersey and only used 1.4m. So there is just enough left to make Mum a little summer top as well :) Success all round.

To Read My Sewing Pattern Review Click Here 

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to read :)

Happy Sewing!
Dawn :)x

12 comments:

  1. Pretty summer skirt and fabric choice! The hem done beautifully, I will check out the detail about the walking foot. Thanks for the link :)
    The skirt fit your mom beautifully :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely skirt. You can see the extra love put into this with the lining the lace finishes it off beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy! And you are so right... extra love was definitely put into this because it was for Mum. Only the best for her! :)x

      Delete
  3. I love this skirt! I totally have this pattern too! I never thought to use a knit fabric...genius! I've actually been thinking about making myself a trumpet style skirt but hadn't considered this pattern. Thanks for bringing it to my attention:) Enjoy your new walking foot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rikki! Hope you enjoy making this in a knit also! I made Mum's a couple of sizes smaller to accommodate the fabric x

      Delete
  4. Great looking skirt and I'm sure your Mum will gets lots of wear out of it. I love my walking foot and I rarely sew without it engaged. They are a wonderful invention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Star! And yes, thumbs up to the walking foot invention :) x

      Delete
  5. Love the skirt, the colors, the print. You did a beautiful job. And adding that lining with the lace at the hem gives it that special touch. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tomasa! (what a beautiful name you have btw) :) x

      Delete
  6. I am thrilled about the walking foot - it will make sewing so much more satisfying for you. And what a great classic skirt for your Mum - sort of reminds me of some of the old British classic labels that you can't find now, but that always look so wonderful, and especially on older ladies - and we all like to look nice, whatever our age. I'm sure she is very pleased :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz. Rather chuft with this one and it's very My Mum style :) x

      Delete