Tuesday, 7 July 2015

McCalls 7046 ~ Summertime Blues


I waited so long for some guaranteed warmer weather before making up this pattern. The warmer weather came, stuck around whilst I made this and photographed it but hasn't been seen since. I'm not a huge fan of the heat, but I do love our seasons and the opportunity they provide for us to wear different clothes.


I bought the pattern some months ago as soon as it came out because I just loved it instantly. 
The pattern is McCalls 7046 and I made this sleeveless version, View C

Feeling a little of an anti climax though with the end result. See all that lovely rouching on the bodice drawing? Well on the front of mine t'is more or less non-existant!
All you see here are a couple of folds around my waistline. 

Yet look at the back
Now that's more proper like it! The rouching here is far more effective

The pattern calls for elastic to be used to create the bodice rouching. Having only done rouching with gathers before, I decided to give this method a go. The instructions ask you to sew the elastic inside the seam line of the bodice back, so I can only assume that that is why most of the rouching is actually in the back. I thought at first that perhaps my fabric was too heavy and the skirt was pulling it down. But when I looked in the mirror at the back of it, that couldn't be it at all.

Gotta love everything else about this little dress though. And for the first time ever, I didn't have to take inches off the side seams to get this to fit proper. I cut this in my usual size (using finished garment measurements) and it fits a treat. So do bare this in mind if unlike me, you don't like to use negative ease for fit. If that's the case, this will come up small on you.

I cut a neckband for this pattern rather than just narrow hemming the neckline as per the pattern instructions. I felt a neckline needed more structure. I did however narrow hem the armholes using Collins Wonder Tape first to stabilize them. I just love that stuff!! And I have to say, the finish is much nicer. Less bulk than the neckband.





Overall a little disappointed with the lack of bodice rouching, but glad I tried the elastic method. I know now that gathers are what do it for me! Guess I will just stick to wearing this with my favourite cardigan :)

To read My Sewing Pattern Review Click Here

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to read.

Happy Sewing!
Dawn :)x


12 comments:

  1. Nice dress! Even though ruching is not as you expected it is a flattering dress on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it as well - and only you know the ruching is not as expected. Still, it's good to try new techniques, if only to discover that the way you like to do things is the best way for you after all. And your shoes - I love them, comfortable but great looking as well :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz. And the shoes I've had years... they just don't get worn very often!

      Delete
  3. Great looking dress. Strange about the lack of gathers in the front though. I wonder if you added a little length to the sides of the front pieces if that would help with the ruching effect?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good idea Star, only I have no fabric left! x

      Delete
  4. I love it! The dress look perfect to me, pretty prints and the style suits you perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks lovely and fits you to a T. You definitely know what suits you best and this does. Regards, TS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your dress and it looks great on you with or without the cardigan. Great job!

    ReplyDelete