Sunday, 19 July 2015

Simplicity 1158 ~ Jump into summer?



Time to" jump" out of the comfort zone again and into a Jumpsuit. I made my first jumpsuit last year (you can see that HERE) but being strapless, I haven't really had much wear out of it. So this time I am using Simplicity 1158, which is a much more practical and comfortable style for me. I am fair skinned and my skin does not like the sun at all, so coverage is important to me and this jumpsuit is perfect!

Although covered up, I also do still like to be cool, so I chose This lovely soft, cotton jersey of medium weight from Croft Mill. They have some wonderful fabrics and of nice quality and their service is faultless. The only down side is that the P&P is pricey. It helps if you buy more than one fabric to compensate for this should your funds allow!

The pattern is a Simplicity Project Runway. One of those where you can mix and match the various pattern pieces to create your own style.

I made bodice A with the narrow leg trouser.
I kept the leg length just long enough so that I could also dress this up and wear with heels should the occasion arise. 

What drew me to the pattern in the first place was the bodice of View A

Just love all those lovely gathers off the front yoke. What I didn't like was the yoke construction. If you follow the pattern directions, the yoke has no interfacing or facing. Considering that this is such a main feature of the jumpsuit and the entire bodice hangs off it, that's pretty poor. I felt it needed more structure so I interfaced and faced mine, as yokes should be. I'm pleased with how it feels and looks. Oh, and the wrapover doesn't gape either.

Another great feature is those pockets! Who doesn't love pockets?!! And for ease and comfort the waist is elasticated. This jumpsuit is so comfy I could wear it to bed!! (Hmm, better watch what I say there as I just know what my DH is going to say when he sees me wearing this..."ooh, you made pyjamas...!")


To keep the comfy and covered up feel going on, I altered the back bodice. It should have been a wrapover "V" the same as the front with a back tie (see diagram above) but I cut mine on the fold and cut it higher up to create a round neck.

One thing to be aware of if making this pattern; check the finished garment measurements before cutting. There is a huge amount of ease in this. So much so, I cut a Size 4!


As you will have noticed, I was forced to take these photos indoors with the light being so poor outside. 
This is the view from my sewing room window. Where has the god damn sea gone?!! It feels like we have been living in this foreverrrrrrrrr!! We have been masked by this film of mizzle and fog for days. Urghh. Oh the British Summer is such joy (not).
Anyways, photos haven't come out too badly. Certainly a lot better than had I gone outside. And who wants to go out in that without good reason anyhow?!

I mean, for goodness sake I am brighter than the weather!

To read my Sewing Pattern Review Click Here

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to read :)

Happy Sewing!
Dawn :)x

10 comments:

  1. Looks like a great solution to our Great British Summer. Summery but a cover up against too much sun, or too much chill. It really suits you. I like the pattern changes you made to the back and yoke. Much more practical here. TS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's proving to be a good practical make :)

      Delete
  2. This is just so pretty - I love the shape, the drape, the colour - it's just perfect. Nice for standing by the window, gazing out to where the sea used to be, somewhere beyond the mizzle...

    Your alterations were spot on - I agree, facings are a must on so many things, but so many patterns leave these essentials out now. Easy to draw yourself though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz. I smiled at your gazing out of the window comment! :) x

      Delete
  3. This jumpsuit is great. Blue is a lovely color on you as well. I haven't made a jumpsuit myself and may have to add it to the list of must tries! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Star!
      And I could see you in a jumpsuit, you would suit one x

      Delete
  4. I love it! The shape and the color are perfect for you :) You look great, Dawn! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this jumpsuit on you and all of the changes you made to it. It fits you beautifully and looks so comfy.

    ReplyDelete