Thursday, 8 October 2015

Simplicity 1321 ~ Faux Suede Skirt


My MAGAM Challenge this month, was indeed, challenging. To the point that my original idea never happened! My plan was to make a maxi dress with this fabric and pattern. The challenge turned out to be trying to fit all the pieces on my fabric!


I am not normally one to buy fabric before I need it or at the very least, know what I am going to make with it. But I couldn't resist this John Kaldor fabric and so bought it a couple of months ago (if not more) with a maxi dress in mind. Only I hadn't anticipated making one with sleeves and, I had also forgotten that I had only bought 2.5m and not 3m. Of course I didn't realise about the quantity until it came to cutting! But no matter how much I played around with those pieces, if I wanted the sleeves, this just wasn't going to happen. 

So, I had to run with a new idea and this Simplicity 1321 is it. I have seen these slightly A line short skirts about a lot lately and in my quest to make and wear more skirts, this is a practical, wearable style for me.

I have used this pattern once before,previously making View C (HERE), so I was rather pleased whilst sifting through my patterns to find this was perfect for the skirt I had in mind this time. Plus, I knew this pattern fit a treat and needed no alteration. Although I did make this slightly more A-line than the actual pattern to get the look I wanted. But what I love the most about this little skirt is the tab and pocket detail.


The pockets were meant to be just top stitched 6mm from the edge. Only I didn't like the look of them and edge stitched as well. This gives a much neater finish. They didn't lay flat enough for me without.

I used a faux suede fabric available from Minerva Crafts which is self lined and stitched flat fell seams on all but the side seams.

Wit Woo.. so tidy on the inside :) I love having the inside as neat as the out. For some reason it makes wearing them much nicer. Back in the day when I sewed as a teenager, I used to line everything!


So I'm thinking about this in corduroy now, in a nice rusty colour for autumn... ! 

To Read My Sewing Pattern Review Click Here

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to read :)

Happy Sewing!
Dawn :)x

12 comments:

  1. Very cute. I can see you getting a lot of wear out of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this skirt on you - looks fantastic with your boots and jumper. And I love the skirt - I have the pattern somewhere. There is something about faux suede that gives a very elegant casual look.

    Guess what - my October garment that was planned was not to be either :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz. Sorry to hear about your cancelled plans also. We seem to often be on trend together you and I!! x

      Delete
  3. Oh this skirt is just wonderful. I love it. You did a great job picking the fabric and buttons. I agree the 2 rows of topstitching on the pockets is much better. By the way, my email is Allure3606atgmaildotcom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tomasa. I was lucky with the buttons.. I had 2 left over from a shirt I made and they were perfect for this.
      Thanks for the email add, i couldnt find it on your blog. I will send you a message asap :) x

      Delete
  4. Lovely skirt! I love A-line and it suits you beautifully. Great work on the skirt! Inside and out :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great staple . Sure you can dress up or down x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great staple . Sure you can dress up or down x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete