Sunday, 13 December 2015

Dressed for Dinner ~ Vogue 1475


Hooray! It's Christmas time! And time to break out the Christmas party dresses. This dress I didn't make for a party but for one of our holiday formal evenings last month.


 Love them or hate them, the best thing about formal evenings is being able to make a dress that you would have absolutely no other reason to wear. No posh shindigs in my life anyway!



Of course packing for such an event can be quite traumatic. I mean, who wants to see their hard work folded up into a suitcase and pulled out the other end like it was a tossed out piece of rag?! So I always try to go for gowns in glamorous jerseys because not only do I love wearing knits, they are perfect for holiday packing. They come out of the case as good as crease free.



So when I saw Vogue 1475 I didn't need to look at or ponder this pattern twice. Oh no. This had my name written all over it. The line drawings show the true beauty of this pattern. 


I couldn't have designed this for myself any better. And this pattern appeared just as I began my search. It was meant to be. I like being covered up so the long sleeves and skirt are ideal for me but 
I also have such a love of asymmetrical gathered bodices and this is probably my current favourite




Even the fabric kind of fell into my lap. I wanted a lightweight  stretch velvet and on my search  Minerva Crafts turned out this one.

Catalogue Photo

Its a Persia Floral burn out stretch velvet (available HERE) and I  Loved it straight away. Loved it all the more when the swatch arrived. This is the perfect fabric for this dress. Not cheap, but boy it is worth every penny! (Besides, how much would this dress cost RTW?) And the icing on the cake is that it was even beautiful to work with. I was expecting it to be a sewing nightmare. Not the case at all. In fact, I love this fabric so much, I have since bought the same one in red! 






As it's a Vogue pattern, it's made how it should be. Proper quality finish. I omitted the zip when making this because it just didn't need it. Other than that, I made no other alterations. Although if I were to make this again I would omit the train also. Not much point just having it dragging behind you! Not that I will ever make this again as I have no further need for another dress like this, but imagine this sleeveless. Awesome! 


We are off on our travels again next year, and this dress is definitely coming with once again



And finally, one last "Ship Shot" 

To Read My Sewing Pattern Review Click Here

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to read :)

Happy Sewing!
Dawn :) x

21 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful dress, befitting a winter queen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This dress is chic, elegant and classy. You leave the red carpet Hollywood stars in the dust with this dress. Wow - you look gorgeous. Bravo!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! This dress is coming to NY with me! :) x

      Delete
    2. Oh lucky me! I will love looking at this beautiful dress in person.

      Delete
    3. Haha imagine that on the streets of NYC!! Can you send me your email address again please Tomasa? And Merry Christmas to you :) xxx

      Delete
  3. Beautiful. You're right about price if RTW! I did subscribe to your blog but that appears to have been lost so I have resubscribed. That's happened a few times. I hope you enjoyed your cruise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne. And the holiday was lovely thank you x

      Delete
  4. This is gorgeous! The fabric is spectacular and the pattern...wow a perfect match!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yesssss! You look amazing! Fits you like a glove and you look like a true winter queen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That dress is gorgeous and fits you perfectly! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous dress and the model! I love it in every detail, you did a great work. Love the fabric as well :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Dawn, I missed this post as I was away for a few days. I saw this on Pinterest (Fan Board for Vogue) so I looked for your Blog post :). Love this - as you say, it has Dawn written all over it - so glamorous and romantic and the teal mix looks lovely on you. I love this long, but when you tire of the length, it could also be shortened and worn cocktail length.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz. And what a good idea! Shortening one day would make it look like a completely different dress :)x

      Delete
  9. This fabric is amazing and quite possibly what I've been looking for, for my nephew's formal wedding in May. My question is, did you find you needed to line it because of the burn out areas. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dodo. Yes this fabric definitely needs lining. It wouldnt be a very elegant look without; especially for a wedding! The fabric is also available in red which I have just made up also :) x

      Delete
  10. This fabric is amazing and quite possibly what I've been looking for, for my nephew's formal wedding in May. My question is, did you find you needed to line it because of the burn out areas. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete