Monday, 28 December 2015

McCalls 7047 ~ Black and White Sparkle!


Greetings fellow bloggers, I hope you have all had a wonderful, fun-filled Christmas! I didn't get to do any Christmas sewing this year but I did get in a fair bit of sewing over the autumn months. And this is one of them. Here, I give you the second out of 3 evening gowns recently made


It kind of feels like I got this one on the cheap as my fabric is leftover from a previous project (HERE) which was purchased from Truro Fabrics. The black is no longer listed but it is now available in Navy Blue and a gorgeous Christmas Cranberry Red instead. I almost bought the red this season but thought better of it as I don't need it! How's that for will power?!

The pattern is McCalls 7047 which is one of those mix and match patterns.


I made the red version but added the train and also the cowl back neckline. The back is quite low cut so I added 2" to this just so I could comfortably wear a bra underneath. I'm glad I did as even with the added 2" this back is certainly low enough for me!



I absolutely love everything about this pattern. The style, the combinations, the fit, construction, everything!! So much so, I have fabric to make this again already. But it's the peplum that sold it to me in the first place





It's been a few weeks since I made this one but if memory serves I didn't change anything else other than the lining construction. The  waist seam was visible on the inside as was the skirt lining seams. So for a clean finish, I altered mine. Details of this are on My Sewing Pattern Review but you can see my enclosed waist seam here, which I hand stitched down.



As I said about the previous dress I made (HERE), the same goes for this one; I wish I hadn't added the train. They just drag behind, and with this fabric I kept catching my heel in it. Not ideal, but hindsight is a wonderful thing! 


Apologies for looking a bit windswept on the photos... the hair didn't behave itself but at least the dress did :)

For the contrast collar I just used a plain white polyester jersey which if memory serves me right, possibly has some viscose content in it. It worked well for this dress anyways, making the collar more of a feature.



As you may have noticed, I couldn't decide at first on white or black gloves. But on heading out, I finally went with the black :)




Thanks for stopping by and taking time to read :) 

Happy New Year to you all and
Best Wishes for 2016

Dawn :) x

11 comments:

  1. Very pretty! I bet you were the best dressed belle on the boat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I love everything in your dress :) Best Wishes for 2016 for you too. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana. Happy New Year! x

      Delete
  3. You look so beautiful and glamorous in this gorgeous dress - bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another stunning evening dress - how wonderful to have had the opportunity to wear them both. This is gorgeous (but then, so was the last). You look lovely :). Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz. Fortunately I will be able to wear them both again soon :) Happy new Year! x

      Delete
  5. Stunning! Pity you don't like the train - can you modify? Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne. And yes, the train is going!

      Delete
  6. Stunning! Pity you don't like the train - can you modify? Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete