Thursday, 3 December 2015

Vogue 8780 ~ Waterfall Cardigan



Ok so I am rather late (a few years late) in jumping onto the waterfall cardigan/jacket bandwagon but we had a holiday coming up and I was Pintresting ideas for a throw over. Our holiday was cruising the Iberian coast and with it being November, I was expecting it to be a little chilly, especially in the evenings. And as suspected, at times, the wind did ensure this ! (as you can see from some of these rather windswept-me photos!)



Not a huge fan of wearing baggy clothes but as pintrest kept throwing these images at me, I started warming to the idea. And I think I may have actually pulled this one off!

Sew Direct were having a sale on Vogue patterns and V8780 fit the bill perfectly. It's since been discontinued and is OOP but it's certainly currently still available for purchase here in the UK.



It's meant to be a coat/jacket pattern,  but it was a cardigan I needed and although it doesn't specify on the pattern envelope, I had read elsewhere that this best suited to stretch knits. So the hunt began for a suitable fabric, and as luck would have it, I found one right form the off!

My fabric is THIS Spanish bobble textured stretch jersey from Minerva Crafts

Catalogue Photo
I sent for a swatch and I was over joyed when it arrived that I had found the perfect fabric instantly. Not only does this not fray (required for this pattern), I loved both the right and wrong sides! The right side
is soft and bobbly in subtle shades of pale greens, blues and yellows on a black background.

Yet the wrong side is dots of the same colours (obviously) but the colours look deeper as the black is more prominent.

As this pattern shows both the right and wrong sides of the fabric, both sides are visible, and I like that. 





This is probably one of the quickest items I had sewn in a long time. Cut and complete in just a couple of hours. What makes this so fast is the no hemming, so do bare this in mind when choosing a fabric for this; the edges are left raw.





And I certainly got my wear out of this on the earlier windy days!

To Read My Sewing Pattern Review Click Here

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to read :)

Happy Sewing!
Dawn :) x

10 comments:

  1. Looks like you are having a wonderful time! What a great top. I love the colors and it fits you beautifully. To me, it doesn't look baggy at all. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tomasa. Just got fabric to make another :)x

      Delete
  2. Great cardigan. That fabric is perfect for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty cardigan! I love the style, not so baggy with high low hem. Beautiful work! Hope you have wonderful time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look lovely Dawn. This cardigan works because it is a shorter length, and you are wearing nice slim pants with it. I agree, for petites, forget the big and baggy. It just doesn't work.

    The fabric is gorgeous - it's not easy getting something that is just right at the best of times.

    And I hope you had a really wonderful holiday...Sarah Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah Liz. Holiday was lovely thank you but looking forward to getting back to the sewing machine... and making another one of these as I actually really like this look! x

      Delete
  5. Hi Winterqueen,
    I just love your profile picture in that beautiful white. I am thinking about making the Vogue 8780 coat and have a question for you. Do you think this pattern would be suitable for sherpa? Since it has a raw edge , I thought I would make in that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LGuia! Thank you! That was my bridal coat :)
      Re the fabric, so long as its soft and drapey I don't see why not. How snug would that feel?!! And The raw edge that doesn't fray would be perfect. Do be aware that the sleeves come up a little small though. Mine are ok as my fabric is stretchy and I only wear light tops underneath. Even with my stretch fabric, jumpers underneath wouldn't be very comfortable with the snug fit. Hope that helps xx

      Delete