Tuesday, 23 February 2016

Simplicity 1322 ~ It's a wrap!


Simplicity 1322 is my MAGAM challenge for February. I made View C


The theme this month is Freaky Fearful February, which is to do anything that scares you, where you know you can probably do it, but apprehension is stopping you. 


There are things that I shy away from much greater than this (bound buttonholes for one!) but a warm skirt is something I did actually need so I opted for this one as I often fear of stretching seams on the bias. So I picked this cute little skirt and added a bias contrast on the front seam edge. Easy peasy! Why did I worry. A bit of wonder Tape before sewing and Bingo! I'm pleased.

And whilst I was on a roll with bias edging, I also finished the hem with binding too.


This lovely wool tweed fabric was kindly given to me by one of my Mum's friends. In fact she was so generous, she gave me an entire suitcase full of fabric! This is the first piece I have used and I am so pleased with it. The plain blue is a faux moleskin I bought way back in the 90's but never used it. And I've still got enough of it left to make something else.



Because my fabric is wool (which made up and handled beautifully I might add), I have added a lining. But for anyone thinking of making this, do bare in mind that there isn't much of a wrapage going on with this skirt. Sitting down in it would show an awful lot of leg without a lining...!!


.... You can see that it already falls open as demonstrated here by just bending my knee! It is meant to. But I certainly feel more comfortable knowing I wont be baring all and sundry when I sit down or when the wind blows it open!!


It's funny but it was only a couple of years ago that I was saying I don't like skirts! Yet this winter, skirts and jumpers have been my staple wardrobe. And I have made this one just in the nick of time, as it's currently the coldest its been all winter so far.


To Read My Sewing Pattern Review Click Here

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to read :)

Happy Sewing!
Dawn :) x

15 comments:

  1. I'd say that fear has been successfully conquered! Great looking skirt, inside and out!! Lovely colors too. Can't wait to see what other clothes are made from the "suitcase o'fabric"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a beautiful job on the skirt and that trim and waistband really take it to the next level.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a beautiful job on the skirt and that trim and waistband really take it to the next level.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great fitting on your skirt! Love the details inside and outside. Beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautifully made skirt! Adding the trim along the bias cut on the skirt was definitely a good call - it looks great - love it! And the hem is beautiful as well with the bias binding. Beautiful inside and out! Great job - I say you have definitely conquered your fears!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think I have! Thanks Tomasa :) x

      Delete
  6. It looks fantastic - as you say, the fear of the fear is the problem, and it soon disappears once you tackle the problem. Looks lovely, inside and out. The suede is a great touch. I agree, a lining is a must. Like you, I am thinking skirts and warm tights this winter too - quite a change for me as well :). I think it's warmer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sarah Liz I agree. So I have you to thank for going with that theme this month.
      Warm tights and skirts are definitely much warmer than trousers. I wear skirts/dresses in winter and trousers in summer. I am so looking forward to seeing some winter skirts you make x

      Delete
  7. Lovely skirt! Love the faux suede with the wool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This wool tweed is really lovely and I love the contrasting fabric. It looks like a designer skirt!

    ReplyDelete