Thursday, 24 March 2016

Boho Peasant Top for Mum


Feeling pretty smug about this one as it almost didn't make it! 
Mum picked the fabric on a trip to Birmingham Rag Market in March of last year (my goodness, where did that year got to?!). I think we originally planned to make a skirt with it. But a year on, Mum had forgotten which fabrics she had left so I sent her some swatches. No sooner had she been reminded of this concertina pleated fabric, she came up with this free pattern from October 2015 Prima Magazine.



Well that was a pleasant surprise for me because a pattern like this wasn't what I was expecting at all! Having never worked with this fabric before and not able to find much, if anything online on how to work with it, this pattern was perfect. With the drawstring neckline and elasticating the sleeves, should those pleats flatten themselves out, no-one would know.



As it turned out, keeping the pleats in wasn't the problem. I used wonder tape to keep them together and this worked a treat. The issues I did have however, was stitching the actual fabric. I tried all sorts of various needles but none of them liked it. Talk about skipped stitches. The microtex needle which I thought would be the best one for this fabric turned out to be the worst! There were no stitches at all. I tried that many, I can't even recall which one worked the best now. I just know it wasn't the microtex or  the ballpoint!



The drawstring ties you see in these photos, aren't actually the ones in the finished article. These were just temporary until our trip last week to the Birmingham Rag Market again, where we were able to find a suitable replacement

As shown here with silver cording 


and complete with beads!

I have to say that perseverance certainly paid off with this one. Until I got the hang of it, this fabric was a pain to work with. But just look how it turned out. The top I thought I was going to like the least, I like the most! Despite the initial issues with stitching, this has come up trumps. And it suits my Mum to a tee :)


Definitely a thumbs up from me for this one!


To Read my Sewing Pattern Review CLICK HERE 

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to read :)

Happy Sewing!
Dawn :) x

14 comments:

  1. It's a stunning top, well worth the perseverance. I wonder why the needle (s) didn't like it. So infuriating and frustrating. The silver cord was a great find. Love the dolls house in the background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz. Re the Dolls house: Mum made the house with Dad's help and Mum did the interior x

      Delete
  2. It is pretty top. It looks great on your mom :) Your work has paid off. The fabric looks so drapery and I had similar fabric like that in my stash. I am still fear to sew it :(
    Love the silver cord as well. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana. The fabric is Ok once you get the hang of it. I hope you get to use yours soon x

      Delete
  3. This top is just fantastic! Bravo! Your persistance most certainly paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very cute and it looks super comfy too. Great job! I'm sure your Mum is lovin her new wardrobe and is very proud to say her daughter made her new clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a lovely top, I'm sure your Mum will wear it lots. I've sewn with. This crinkly crepe, twice, and had different results from both. You have to remember to cut a smaller size,maws one thing I learned. One of my dresses was cut down about 3 times before it fit properly, and it was a fairly close fit in other fabric. The other thing I did was use iron on interfacing as a stabiliser which worked a treat. Glad you got it made up in the end, as it was definitely worth it. TS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, iPad spell checker has had its way with my wording. I should have used Trish-spell-checker.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Fortunately with this being a loose top, the fit was ok. Made one for myself now too, using the same size!

      Delete
  6. I think your wonder tape trick to keep the crinkles while sewing, deserves a standing ovation! Could you have used a universal needle to tame the wild beast? Next time, you can always use a lightweight temporary stabilizer underneath, and maybe this type of fabric will be easier to sew. Beautiful top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dodo! And yes I will have to try a lightweight temporary stabilizer some time. I may have used a universal needle..?? I'll never know now as I just kept trying alsorts. I was so over joyed when I finally got sucess I totally forgot to look which one it was. Doh! :) x

      Delete
  7. I think your wonder tape trick to keep the crinkles while sewing, deserves a standing ovation! Could you have used a universal needle to tame the wild beast? Next time, you can always use a lightweight temporary stabilizer underneath, and maybe this type of fabric will be easier to sew. Beautiful top.

    ReplyDelete