Tuesday, 15 March 2016

Sewing For Mum

I haven't been sewing for myself quite as much as I usually do of late. But I have been busy sewing for my Mum. She is getting quite a collection of new clothes! These makes I have been sewing over the past few months (with some of my own in-between). But as these are Mum's, I thought I would do a collective all-in-one post.

First up, using a jersey knit purchased from Birmingham Rag Market last year, is the ever popular  McCalls 6844. View A



We had no idea what to make with this fabric when we bought it, but on looking through patterns that I already had, I knew this was the one. I loved lining up those stripes!

Next up is (discontinued) Butterick 4132

This was made using a remnant piece left over from A Skirt I made for Mum last year

And here is Mum, wearing it with said skirt
Suddenly she has a dress!

This next one is a Butterick See and Sew pattern 6079
  

Extended the shoulder and added some sleeves for Mum's preference but overall, I'm a little disappointed with this one.

Both the front and back neck edge is gathered and the waist is elasticated. It's a lovely design but I just don't think this one is for Mum.

Finally for this post is McCalls 6966 View A 

You can't really see the lovely shaped yoke but believe me, it is there! I also added a few inches to the length

So that just about wraps it up for now. There are a couple more but I have saved those as I think they warrant their own posts.

More soon!
Thanks for stopping by  and taking time to read :)

Happy Sewing
Dawn :)x

10 comments:

  1. Why don't you like Butterick 6079? I love the colors and it seems to be just fine on her but sometimes photos don't tell the whole story. Regardless, I think everything you have made for your mum is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im not sure why Tomasa.... can't put my finger on it? But thank you! And Mum was pleased x

      Delete
  2. Your Mum must be very happy - how kind of you to make things for her. She looks very smart in the skirts, top and cardigan. Even though you think the dress is not flattering, I bet it will be worn a lot - it's the sort of garment that is really comfortable to wear to do things in around the house. Does she wear necklaces- that would bring the eye up. And sandals - it will look very summery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz. Mum likes the dress, its just me that doesn't!

      Delete
  3. Great job! You have been busy. I like the Butterick dress too, but it may look different in person. I really like the red and white top and skirt. What a very lucky Mum you have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a lovely daughter, Dawn. I love everything you made for your mom and I am sure she is very happy with them. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you are sewing for your Mom! I used to sew for mine- what I wouldn't do to have that pleasure all over again. I know she treasures you and all your expertise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you for your kind words Maureen. Mum used to sew for me when I was little and she taught me how to sew. It's time to return the favour!! :) x

      Delete