Wednesday, 6 April 2016

Prima Peasant


There is nothing quite like the dawn of a new season to offer fresh, new inspiration. Whilst I have enjoyed my winter months of sewing, Spring offers new colours and new wardrobe pieces. 

For my first Spring make I have kept it simple and let the fabric do the talking with this BoHo style pattern from the Prima Magazine October 15. This is my project for the Moreish Makeover March MAGAM Challenge; simply because I need more tops like this.

I love this style of blouse. I used to wear it a lot back in the day (gypsy tops I think they were called then?) and I have a purchased one that I have almost worn to death.  
Mum dropped this pattern on me to make a blouse for her (which you can see HERE) and I loved it instantly! Had a few issues with Mum's due to the fabric, and low and behold I stumbled across fabric issues again with this one!


Not sure what sort of woven this is but whatever, it was seriously off-grain! Grrr. Made cutting a pain I can tell you, especially as this has an horizontal pattern. It didn't help that I didn't like the pattern horizontal either (the big rectangular-like shapes you see C/F and C/B were meant to be going across not down). For this top I felt that it would look much better vertical, so after a bit of pulling and tugging I then cut it cross grain. It's turned out OK and also the fullness of this top helps to disguise that the pattern is still a little wonky. But at least its on the grain so won't go out of shape!





I picked the fabric up from Birmingham Rag Market last November and was just drawn to the colours immediately. Had no idea  what I would make with it until Mum sent this pattern. Then I just knew that these two were a match.



The drawstring neckline was finished off with black and orange beads, purchased from a Hobbycraft store near to Mum




To read my Sewing Pattern Review CLICK HERE

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to read :)

Happy Sewing!
Dawn :) x

11 comments:

  1. Love your peasant blouse. It's too bad the fabric gave you a hard time being off grain but you persevered and now you have a beautiful peasant top. I love the colors of the fabric and how nice that you put beads on the drawstrings - fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That blouse is totally you. Is that a new hairstyle too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Star! Possibly new hair??? Had layers cut back in but that was a couple of months ago. They are starting to grow out again now!

      Delete
  3. That is a fabulous print and looks great on you. I must say you won the tug of war with the grain issue and that top is a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a fabulous print and looks great on you. I must say you won the tug of war with the grain issue and that top is a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your pretty top! The style and the prints are perfect for spring. Hope you have a great time and can not wait to see your next garments :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not only a match, but also your loved style. And two garments from the same pattern in a short space of time - Moreish in many ways. It looks lovely Dawn. I'm sorry if I have missed any of your posts - I have not been on the internet for the last fortnight, except Instagram on my phone - my computer died. I've got a new one now, my husband has spent some time setting it up for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz! Good to see you back online. Don't think you missed any posts, I'm slow on blogging of late (well, slow on getting blogging photos done!!_

      Delete