Thursday, 7 July 2016

Light and Breezy ~ McCalls 7125


Try as I might, I cannot seem to get on with anything baggy. I can't seem to deal with excess fabric flopping about my midriff. It's for a similar reason that I do like cropped tops. So why buy this McCalls 7125 I hear you ask?

Well I needed a lightweight cool top so I thought I would have one last attempt at wearing something loose. I made View B with the overlay and although I knew this top would be longer than I wanted, I didn't think it would be quite so much! I cropped this from the off but when it was all made up and all that remained to do was the hem, it was still too long and baggy for my liking. I ended up taking more off the back than the front but it works! It's light and airy and I can't even tell I'm wearing it.


So I think the verdict on the loose fitting clothes, is keep it cropped. I took no excess fabric in, just shortened the length.  I will be trying this again on future projects for sure.

The fabric was an impulse purchase from Birmingham Rag Market back in March. I say impulse because there was a stall full of these types of fabric all at just £1 or £2 a metre. So Mum and I bought 7 different ones between us. (Rude not to!) This particular one was £1 per metre so I was thinking if I only used it as a lining it was still a good buy. Turned out to be an excellent buy as it's perfect for this little top!



I picked the version with the overlay as I thought the top was too plain without. Lace didn't look right due to my patterned fabric so I just used a plain cream remnant piece and trimmed it with a narrow lace. The seams are all french and I stitched a narrow hem. 


No... I am not picking my nose here.... honestly!

It's been some weeks since I made this top and I think our summer has been and gone, as unfortunately I've not had the opportunity to wear this top since the photos weeks ago!


Thanks for stopping by and taking time to read :)

Happy Sewing!
Dawn :) x

14 comments:

  1. It looks nice. Good idea to crop it. I think Summer might be coming back this weekend...... TS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TS. And let's hope so!

      Delete
  2. This looks nice and comfy and matches your jeans perfectly. I'm not a fan of oversized tops either but this one hangs quite nicely on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this little top on you. It looks so light and airy. You did the right thing in cropping it. More length would have overpowered your slim figure. I love the fabric print too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tomasa. Yes long baggy tops just dont look right on me .

      Delete
  4. I love it too, perfect top for summer. It looks great with your jeans :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet little top. I have this pattern but have been concerned about the volume. Love what you did with it. Do you remember the size you made?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maureen. I made size 8. Hope you get around to making it soon!

      Delete
  6. Cute floaty top, I am the same with excess fabric, I think as soon as you add boobs into a flowy top the fabric get pushed away from the body, I think the lightness of your fabric was a great choice and the length is perfect as shows your figure. Now we need some sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynsey! And finally we had some sunshine :)

      Delete
  7. I think the top looks gorgeous on you over fitted pants. It would look too voluminous any longer, you are right. I hope you get to wear the top in late summer - it's so pretty. It would also work layered over a t-shirt, if you do that sort of thing. It would be a pity not to wear it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah Liz. Hadn't thought of wearing a T underneath; what a great idea!

      Delete