Tuesday, 6 September 2016

A long time coming ~ M7351 Shirtdress

When you have been used to a sewing room, it feels pretty rotten when suddenly it's taken away from you, over run with builders, and the house is a mess. So I set myself a task this summer to make a dress to help escape the stresses of both work, and a building site in half of our house, and set up my sewing machine on my office desk.

And 2 months later, this is the result

I am really pleased with the outcome of this dress but it took me so long to make, I have to admit I'm glad to see the back of it!
Cue photo of back, haha!

This dress is my take on McCalls  pattern 7351

I made View C with View D sleeves. I added a contrast sleeve band, shortened the hem, and ditched the collar to keep it mandarin.

For fabric, I picked THIS lovely cotton poplin from Minerva Crafts which is available in a variety a fabulous colourways


The reason behind making a shirt dress was all the small pieces and various stages of construction so it was nice to see it growing slowly bit by bit and I could see what I'd done. I needed this process to get the sewing mojo flowing again.

I made the bodice up first

and the band, skirt and collar were added on after.


The other change I made was to use popper fasteners instead of buttons and buttonholes. I Love these!


But I am done with this dress now and despite it taking me weeks, and the builders having started over 2 months ago, there is still no sign of my sewing room being given back to me. Hmph. But finishing this dress was just the motivation I needed to get the mojo going. It worked.

Its not so much about the space anymore; as proven, I can make do with my office desk!  

Unfortunately due to us being masked in mist and fog for the past few days, I have to leave you with more photos of Lady Mai wearing it and not me.





For my Sewing Pattern Review  Click Here

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to read :)

Happy Sewing!
Dawn 

14 comments:

  1. Well done! Hopefully the builders will be finished soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! Hopefully the builders will be finished soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great dress and quite the accomplishment given your current construction project and lack of sewing room. I hope the dust isn't getting to you too badly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super shirt dress, I like the two tone effect and the mandarin collar, the poppers are great too, I'm too nervous to use my popper set!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynsey!
      I was scared to do the poppers too Lynsey, but once I'd got the first one in I was on a roll!

      Delete
  5. I certainly understand your angst with the upheaval of your home and sewing room. Nevertheless, your sewing mojo persevered and you have made a wonderful dress. I love how the fabrics complement each other and it looks very well made.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now, that is sensible, setting up a table elsewhere. But with all the distractions, no wonder this took so long and you are tired of it. Still, it will be there for next summer and will look fresh when you are less jaded from everything. Hope the building starts coming to an end soon - won't it be nice to get all back in order.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the details of your pretty dress, Dawn. Looks very neat :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty! I love your fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete