Monday, 26 September 2016

Twin Set ~ Cara and a Complimenting Companion!


I am usually the first in line to say goodbye to summer and embrace my favourite season of all. Autumn. I'm not sure what happened this year but early September came and I was not ready to give up my summer wardrobe making just yet. Maybe it was due to the fact that I didn't get much summer sewing in during summer itself? Who knows? But whatever the reason, I've got a whole new summer outfit and regardless of it being too late to wear it now, it's ready for our winter sun holiday in December. YaaY.



These are my 2 projects for the September MAGAM challenge. I didn't want to commit to this months theme of "Sew for 30" because of our building issues at home. I knew I could sew, but not every day. As it turned out, I managed to complete both these items by mid-September, with my machine perched on my office desk! But they are easy patterns after all.



First up was the Stylearc Cara Top. I have always been a fan of the off the shoulder look (I made 2 tops a couple of years ago HERE and later HERE from an old McCalls pattern I bought way back in the 90's) but I was loving the flat banded front of Cara so decided to give this one a go.


The front is of perfect length for me (nice and short). The back is longer, like a high-low hem. I did actually shorten the back length of mine an inch or so for personal preference but it's still a tad long for my liking. If I made this again, I would shorten the back a further 1.5"

This little top is adorable. It's also very quick and easy to make. Well it is for those with some sewing experience. As much as I love Stylearc patterns, the instructions shall we say, are a little vague! And I know I am not alone as I say this.

My fabric is a Cotton Poplin from Minerva Crafts. I fell in love with those colours! I bought 1 metre, as Cara isn't greedy on fabric (another plus!) and I was still left with enough left over to make some binding to pipe that lovely seam detail of the skirt


This is another easy pattern which comes comes together quickly. The pattern is B5566 and I made View C
What a fabulous variety of skirt patterns in one envelope don't you think? And just like Cara, this pattern is not greedy on fabric. I had 1 metre of this stretch denim twill, which was more than enough.


I decided to go with a lapped zip for this skirt. Simply because it was a method I always used back in the day and just wanted to remind myself that I could still do it! You can't beat an invisible zip though for a professional finish IMO.


Oh, and in case you are wondering what I am looking at in some of these photos, we had a little visitor whilst taking the pictures.....


We seemed to "acquire" 2 hens a few days ago which we aptly named Paxo and Sage. But Paxo has disappeared yesterday (gone back home perhaps?) but we still had Sage wanting to get in on the action!


Well that just about wraps up the Summer sewing for me. And sewing on the office desk. Yaay! It's onto a new season now and finally back in the ol' sewing room.... :)

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to read :)

Happy Sewing!
Dawn :) x



14 comments:

  1. Wow! Both of these turned out great! Love the top especially! They both look great together. Love the chicken too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo to you for making these beautiful pieces under trying circumstances! You look gorgeous! Cute chicken...I love animals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great outfit, the top is fab and super colours, the colour of the skirt goes so well and the fit looks spot on

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love them! Beautiful outfit and they are a great match :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute outfit and the skirt looks terrific with the added piping detail! Agree with Hana they are a great match! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you are enjoying the last few days of summer. What a gorgeous little top, but for me, the skirt is the winner - love the piping details, and you will be able to wear it over tights in the next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah Liz. Sadly the weather didn't hold out quite warm enough to wear this again, but it will be packed in the case ready for some winter sun!

      Delete
  7. That piping makes the skirt so special! I love the top with the skirt. The colours suit you very well.

    ReplyDelete