Tuesday, 15 November 2016

Falling into Autumn/Winter with the Rosari Skirt


We have just come home from one of our best holidays ever! We left the UK on a beautiful fresh crisp Autumn day and within the space of 2 and a half hours, landed in a winter scene in snow fallen Stockholm, Sweden. Within less than a day, we encountered the heaviest November snowfall they had had for 111 years. 40 cms in one day!! It was A-MAZING.

I took this skirt along to wear whilst there but due to the weather conditions, it ended up only coming out of the suitcase for photos. And even they didn't turn out that well, so here you have Lady Mai doing a much better job of showing detail...

This is my project for the October MAGAM challenge. It was finished in time, I just didn't get to do photos (as usual). My pattern is the Pauline Alice Rosari Skirt. A pattern I purchased months ago, but only just got around to making. I made a shorter version of View A in Needlecord from Minerva Crafts.



The skirt itself, is pretty plain right? And it's easy to make. But take a look inside....


Nothing plain about that and plenty of prettiness! I spent quite a lot of time finishing the seams of this skirt, and in doing so, over a couple of weeks,I watched the leaves slowly changing colour on the tree outside my sewing room window. Came home today, and they have virtually all gone!


I decided to go with the Hong Kong seam finish on this skirt because I was inspired by this whilst following the McCalls Bomber jacket Sewalong. This was one of the suggested seam finishes for the inside of the bomber and whilst I was originally well up for this on the inside of my jacket, I just couldn't see my Bomber unlined.
So, as I needed another of these skirts, here was the perfect opportunity for my Hong Kong seams! (The stitching you see inside the CB seam is my topstitching, which I did as an after thought)
I also added the binding to the hem and waistband. Just because.



So whilst the skirt went together a breeze and the self satisfaction of those beautiful insides, the stud poppers were another story. I made this skirt in the first 2 weeks of October; it took another 2 weeks to finally sort the fastenings! For some reason, I thought it would be a good idea to have anorak stud fasteners rather than buttons and buttonholes. Wrong. Bad idea! The first set I bought were useless to say the least. I couldn't get them to stay in at all. Even hubby had a go. There was no way these were staying put. Some were OK but there was no way I was going to risk getting done for indecency! Having spent so much time on the inside you can imagine my frustration. The poppers had made holes and I was convinced that this skirt was ruined and all my careful hard work had gone to waste.



So anyways, after casting it aside for a week and throwing it into the naughty corner, I eventually bought another set which were Prym (the same brand I used for my Shirt Dress). These were better, but only after quite a lot more heartache, blood, sweat and tears. I'd like to say it was a joint effort but hubby must take the credit for finally managing to get a full set in. They are not perfect by any means. They are wonky and off centre (my responsibility) but hey, you live and learn. I am definitely putting these down to experience! 


So despite the stud trauma, there was a happy ever after in the end!


**SIDE NOTE**

Of course whilst on our visit to Stockholm, I had to hunt out a fabric shop. Came across this one Soders Tyger (which to any Millennium trilogy fans, is right opposite Mikael Blomqvists Kaffebar). The staff here are so friendly and welcoming and instantly changed to English speaking. Here I am standing outside with my purchase!
(well. I couldn't leave empty handed could I?)

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to read :)

Happy Sewing!
Dawn :) x

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful colour for the skirt; it really suits you. Great job on those inside seams with such pretty binding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks gorgeous and the scenery is spectacular. Glad to hear you had a great time. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed your holiday even if you didn't get to wear your lovely skirt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful skirt! I had a pair of corduroy jeans that colour many many years ago which I wore with a cream top. Your lovely photos reminded me. Your Hong Kong seams look lovely and three cheers for hubby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy. Glad the photos triggered a memory for you!

      Delete
  5. Your skirt looks great and I love the colour, the poppers look amazing!! Well done for persevering, I think I may have thrown the towel in but so glad you didn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lynsey. I am so glad I persevered too!

      Delete
  6. Oh what a trial with the poppers. But they look so good, I am so glad you persevered. Really, I think only you will notice that they are not quite perfect (and yes, I know you are the important one) - so do please wear this and enjoy it. I love the pretty binding, and you look so lovely in the snow clutching your nice new bundle of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you had a wonderful holiday, and so much snow. The skirt looks great and I really like the poppers. Despite all the difficulties they were worth it. I can't see the wonkiness, so it must be minor. Enjoy the current cold weather. Regards, Trish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trish. I've managed to wear this since we got home to just as cold UK but wet instead of snowy!

      Delete
  8. Love you skirt. It looks great on you. I bet it wasn't as cold as that January day in NYC - ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tomasa. And no, it wasn't! will anywhere be that cold?!!!! Only hovering around 1 to 2'c in Sweden

      Delete
  9. Super cute skirt!!! Beautiful scenery!!! Really love this skirt on you. All those snaps coupled with the lovely corduroy came together beautifully. Glad you and your husband prevailed with the snap insertions! :)

    ReplyDelete