Wednesday, 30 November 2016

M7014 ~ The Perfect Pinafore



November MAGAM Challenge is completed and posted all in the same month. Go me! Sometimes you get a garment that just seems to fall together with no issues and no unpicking at all; this was one of those. And, this is one of my favourite makes of the year. Really pleased with how this has turned out and it gave me so much construction pleasure and lining everything up. (not the cutting, I'm not a fan of cutting) but lining up the seams to pattern match the fabric and keeping it all in place was very self satisfying. I know, I'm weird like that.



The pattern is M7014  and I made view A which has princess seams, patch pockets on the front and an invisible zip at the back.


I made the lining up first as I find the beauty of a lining is that you can use this for fitting and then cut out the fabric accordingly. Not that this needed much alteration, I just needed to reduce the centre back seam by 3cms in total for a better fit. I like the back of dresses to fit snug into the arch of my back.


To ensure that the fabric pattern lined up perfectly at the zip I interfaced down each centre back edge first then used wonder tape to attach the zip in place. Then on top of that I tacked in the zip. I was determined this zip was not going anywhere other than where it should!



I debated at first whether or not to cut the side panels on the cross for a bit of detail but I did this with my last pinafore dress (which is still going strong!) so decided to keep it all the same way in the end, and just do the pockets instead as per the pattern.




I Love that this dress is fully lined. For that I used the same fabric that I lined my Bomber Jacket. It's all crumpled and bumpy in this photo because I had worn this all day before I realised I didn't have a photo of the inside. So back it went onto Lady Mai for another photo. I'm sure she appreciated it, it's kinda cold here right now. Ha! 😉


My favourite detail of this dress though has to be the neckline. I love the shape. The pattern however doesn't tell you to interface this. I often wonder why the Big 4 sometimes miss out vital details? 



As far as the fabric goes, I'm not entirely sure? I picked it up from Birmingham Rag Market some months ago and I think its possibly a woven poly wool blend. But whatever it is, it made up beautifully and I loved working with it.


And I have to say, I love wearing this too. This dress is definitely going to become a staple in my winter wardrobe.


To read my Sewing Pattern Review Click Here

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to read 😀

Happy Sewing!
Dawn x



24 comments:

  1. Oh my! This pinafore is perfect! It fits you beautifully. You did a wonderful job matching at the seams as well. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent fit and pattern matching! I'm sure you will get lots of wear out if this dress. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This dress fits so perfectly and I love the bias pockets. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's fits so great & you look great in it. And excellent job on the pattern matching too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fantastic looking pinafore/princess dress. And so nicely made - as you say, sewing pleasure comes from these little things. Nothing quite like admiring a good seam. The pockets look just right as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super dress, I love the pattern and think it would fit in to my wardrobe nicely, I've never managed to get a shift dress to fit properly and think this would work perfectly. Your seams are amazing and I love decent pockets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynsey. Good luck with yours if you decide to go ahead!

      Delete
  7. Ooh Winter Queen, I like the hair. And I love the pinafore dress. Looks just the job for a dress for my daughter. On you, the fit is perfect and I like the fabric you used, mystery blend or not. TS

    ReplyDelete
  8. exellent dress!
    http://aguniamojswiat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a most excellent job on this beautiful dress!! It is just a 'wow'! Thanks for the zipper tip. You lined up the fabric in every place so perfectly. Like the pockets on the diagonal too. P.S. Not sure if you are a member of the McCall Pattern Company Group on facebook?.... but am most definitely sure they would LOVE to see this dress! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! yes I am a member but not a huge user of FB. I try and remember to post it next time. Thanks

      Delete
  10. If looks just great - style, fit, fabric and pattern matching

    ReplyDelete