Thursday, 19 January 2017

M7476 ~ Housecoat Anyone?


There is no denying, I was glad to see the back of this and out the sewing room door. Even after it was evicted, its evidence remained. Everything in the sewing room was covered in raspberry pink fluff. And I mean everything. Including myself. 
On the plus side though, the sewing room got a thorough spring clean, which after all, isn't a bad thing.


I was originally intending to make a matching cardigan for my Little Piece of Sweden Dress . Turned out, no matter how hard I tried, I didn't have enough of the Swedish fabric left, only of the striped. (As much as I'd have loved to go back for more!) 
It's turned proper cold here of late and sometimes I do need an extra layer around the house during the day, when the heating isn't on and the fire isn't lit. So I turned my attention to a pattern I've been meaning to make up for some time, M7476. A cardigan/jacket that I can just throw on when that little bit of extra warmth is required.
I made View D using fabric from my Birmingham Rag Market stash. It's a chenille type fabric which in hindsight I think would have been much better suited to a shorter button up, rather than this longer length, shawl collared V-neck. But at the time I still had my Swedish  dress fabric in mind, saw the colour of this on the shelf, and consequently looked no further. 


I realised my error long before this was completed. I wasn't  planning on making a bathrobe, but it does beg the question, is that what this is? Was I making a bathrobe?! Still, no point in dwelling, it was cut and started and I never discard anything and move on to something else until present project is finished. Perhaps I can class this as more of a "housecoat?" I dont know.... do housecoats still exist these days? Anyway, housecoat or no, I chose to  leave the button fastening off and just leave it as a loose throwover.


I love that this has pockets. And the instructions were great, suggesting you cut out the pocket pattern piece (minus seam allowance) in cardboard and then use this as a template to press the pocket seam allowance under. What a genius idea! So simple, yet something I would never have thought of. Great idea for getting your pockets perfectly square and identical.


This fabric is quite loose knit and stretchy so before sewing, I added clear elastic to the neck edges and shoulder seams to stabilise them. I figured it would also move about whilst sewing so I stitched all the seams on a zig-zag with my walking foot first and then went to the overlocker. 


I am not sure I will get much wear out of this but time will tell. It's warm, it's comfy and it's certainly cold enough to wear this right now with lovely crisp frosty mornings. Its been handy to throw it on as needed. But it comes back round to the Sarah Liz debate  again; 'Style at home, does it matter?' 
Is it Ok as it's only for just around the house, or not Ok because we should be happy in what we wear (and not make do) as it makes us feel better.....? I leave you with that thought.


To read My Sewing Pattern Review Click Here

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to read 😀

Happy Sewing!
Dawn 


10 comments:

  1. Ah this is lovely. I think it could go either way really. Just don't wear it outside on a rainy day! I'm sure it would soak up the raindrops! I once made something out of black fur and it look forever to get rid of the fluff-it can hide in the sneakiest of places!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Star. Id decided it was for the house only, but its found a new home just yesterday!

      Delete
  2. I think you look as cute as a button! That rich raspberry is just the ticket to brighten up cold weather. And that fuzzy fluff is no joke, keeping that stuff under control is a *chore*!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it will look very cheerful on a rainy, grey day. Now I am thinking more about Style at Home, I am working out, for me, at least, that there are different levels of Styles. for instance, I got drenched yesterday (we have tropical storms), and came home and put on nice comfort clothes - very casual, not stained, very comfortable, and looked okay, in laidback sort of way. Just what the mood needed! But I looked neat too. I guess it is a matter of do you like it and will you wear it? I think it would be lovely in the evening when relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to hear you are starting to work out your style at home. I often get home wet through also... British weather! Just yesterday I passed this jacket onto someone who took a real fancy to it.

      Delete
  4. Love your pretty coat! Looks so cosy and warm. I am in the middle of making a robe for myself and hope to finish it before spring :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hana. I shall look forward to seeing your robe; hope you manage to get it finished for spring.

      Delete
  5. Love this color on you! I initially didn't think of a robe but now that you mention it, that is what I see. Regardless, it is a beautiful color that suits you well. Now you have a comfy cozy robe to wear that looks fabulous on you!

    ReplyDelete