Monday, 9 January 2017

M7430 ~ My Little Piece of Sweden

Here we are in 2017, and we are over a week into it already. Where does the time go? "So Happy Belated New Year Everyone and Welcome to my first make of the year!" Yes! My first sew project is done and dusted.


I was really excited to get sewing again for the New Year. Especially as I have been itching to use my fabric purchase from my favourite country, Sweden. Soderstyger on Hornsgatan, Stockholm, Sweden to be precise. 
Here I am stood outside with said purchase on what was Stockholm's heaviest snowfall day in November for 111 years!


Oh How I yearn to go back here

 So using M7430, what better choice to kick off the January MAGAM challenge "Sew New Start" with my Little 1.5m Piece of Sweden.


I teamed it with fabric I already had in my stash from a Birmingham Rag Market shopping spree last year
 These two were a match meant to happen



From M7430 I made View D. After much contemplation I eventually decided to use my patterned fabric for the side panels and the plain (My Little Piece of Sweden) for the centre front and backs, simply to be different. I had a poke around on PR and most other versions of this had the patterned fabric for the centre panels. I had been undecided previously so my decision was made to do mine the opposite and mix it up a bit. It would have looked good the other way but I'm pleased with how it looks. Plus, this way, My Little Piece of Sweden is at the forefront of this dress (as it should be ๐Ÿ˜€) and not tucked away at the sides!



The back of the dress is identical to the front


And there are no side seams (bonus!)

This dress went together really quickly and easily. My biggest issue was trying to get the sleeve head stripes to line up with the yoke stripes. Not too happy with the outcome of this but this was so tricky with so much ease in the sleeve head ๐Ÿ˜•. I love this style of dress and I am a huge fan of knits. They are easy, comfy and practical to wear. Sarah Liz from the MAGAM challenge picked up an interesting point on clothes we wear at home don't really matter, and what is actually ideal to wear for household chores? Personally I find this kind of style perfect for home. I feel comfortable, yet I don't feel scruffy. I'm not one who can lounge about in PJ's all day but when I am doing jobs I don't want to feel restricted and uncomfortable. Also, by wearing a knit dress like this, if I need to go out, I don't have to get changed into something smarter. (I just cover it up with a coat instead! Ha! story of my life!๐Ÿ˜‰)


This is going to be another "go-to" pattern for me. It's a good basic wardrobe staple. 
Next up, a cardigan to match!



Thanks for stopping by and taking time to read 

Happy Sewing!
Dawn ๐Ÿ˜€

14 comments:

  1. It's a great dress. I really like the plain panel at the front, and I'm a fan of yokes as well. As you say, the fabric was a terrific match. I'm sure you'll wear it lots both in and out of the house. Regards, Trish

    ReplyDelete
  2. This turned out great! Isn't it fun when you purchase new fabric and it matches something from your stash! I really like this pattern too. I'll add it to my list. Not sure how I missed it in the pattern catalog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Star! Its a great pattern and I can see you in this style also.

      Delete
  3. It's turned out beautifully with the striped panels at the side - and you are small enough to get away with it! And yes, I can see a dress like this would be very wearable in winter for doing all sorts of things around the house, plus be able to be worn out as well. And you will just love the memories attached to the Stockholm fabric too. Looking forward to seeing the cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz. Didnt have enough fabric for the cardigan boo hoo, but have found something in my stash that will go.

      Delete
  4. Fab dress, I love the fabrics, such a perfect combo! It looks amazing on too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - those 2 fabrics go together perfectly! You are right...they were meant to be together. I really like your placement of the fabrics. Just right! Gorgeous dress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful dress, Dawn! Perfect fabric combinations. Looking forward to see your cardigan. Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the combo of fabrics you have used and the dress fits you beautifully. I have similar fabrics as well. You have inspired me to make a mixed fabric dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Good luck with yours, I look forward to seeing it :)

      Delete