Monday, 2 January 2017

V9044 ~ I made a Hat!


Despite spending most of December away on holiday, coming home for Christmas and then spending the post Christmas/New Year week on double shifts, I just managed to squeeze in one more make for 2016....
My first hat!

As a lover of wearing hats, I've often wondered what it would be like to actually make one. So using left over fabric from my previous project the McCalls pinafore, I decided to find out.


I also used the exact same pinafore lining to line my hat as there was just enough left over.



With the wise words of my Mum in mind "the secret to a good hat is accurate cutting and seam allowance", I took such care to cut this thing out. 21 tiny pieces including the peak, all cut individually. 6 each of fabric, interfacing and lining, 2 peaks and one buckram. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the cutting out took almost as long as the sewing! Looks like a small project but there's quite a bit of (accurate) sewing to be done even on a little hat like this.


As it's my first hat, I choose an easy one to start. The baker boy style hat View C from Vogue 9044 by Patricia Underwood
This was surprisingly easy to put together. Just a bit fiddly in places, especially with the small seam allowances. The fabric and lining are made up identically, joined together, peak added and then finally the grosgrain ribbon.  Accuracy though, is everything. A Mother is always right!

I did try to do a self covered button for the centre crown but the fabric kept fraying so bad on something so small it just wasn't happening. After several attempts, I gave up and used a button I already had in the button tin. I think the fabric was also far too thick for the button I had as I tried it with a cotton and it pulled in around the button perfectly. No matter, this hat was an experiment for me anyway so even without the matching button its turned out much better than I was expecting it to. The centre crown pieces all met up nicely and it fits! (Incidentally, I cut a small) What more could I have asked for?





And here I am wearing it today with the matching pinafore dress :)


Well that's it for 2016 sewing now. Everything I have made is blogged so I am up to date, which I am pleased about as I can start a total fresh for 2017. Having had a lot of work done to our house last year I haven't done as much sewing as I would have liked, so I am really excited that 2017 is going to be a good sewing year for me. 

Happy New Year Everyone and happy 2017 Sewing!

Dawn :) 

13 comments:

  1. Your hat is adorable! Wow - I had no idea it would take so many pieces to make a hat. You did a wonderful job - bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your hat, Dawn. Beautiful inside and outside. Happy New Year and Happy 2017 sewing to you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great hat! I've never thought about making one but it looks a fun project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the hat - it really suits you. And I like the contrast button, it adds something. It's a pity hats have so gone out of style, because they really do look good. Here's to a good 2017 filled with lots of sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah Liz. I will fight to re-kindle the hat trend! :)

      Delete
  5. I love the hat too. The yellow and brown fabric really suits it and the style really suits you. I drafted a similar pattern a few years ago, and wear it often (I have a small head - difficult to buy the right size!) I wear mine all the time, and it has garnered a few looks, and compliments. Keep up the hat making! Especially in this weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much! And lovely to hear you enjoy hat making also. Here's to us!

      Delete