Tuesday, 25 April 2017

M6996 ~ Belted Beige Jacket


Hands held up, I wasn't going to blog this one. I just don't like it. Ever had one of those moments when you think something is a great idea and then when its too late, you realise it probably wasn't one of your best? Well I got that with this. For some reason, as soon as I'd cut this out, I just wasn't feeling it. Soon after cutting, I then received an email to say the lining I had ordered was to be delayed, so I don't think that helped as I made up the fabric and then it sat unfinished for over a week. So of course by the time the lining did arrive, I was feeling it even less and had to force myself to finish. And finish it I must as I hate UFO's! I can't move onto something else until current project is done and dusted. 


The pattern is M6996 which is meant for stretch knits. I've had this stretch woven jacquard fabric in my stash for a few months and decided to give it a go with this pattern. Whilst it has its fair share of stretch, it doesn't have quite as much as recommended on the pattern gauge. I also wanted to line this, so baring both these factors in mind, I cut a Medium as opposed to my usual Small. Whilst the medium is Ok, I think I could have gotten away with the small. I was lazy and didn't fit this. Plus, I always use my lining for fitting, and I didn't have it!

The one thing I do love about this jacket, is the gathers at the back of the collar. But of course, this will always be hidden by my hair!!



But the real best thing about this little jacket, is the fabric. Made into something else it would have been lovely(!) because the detail of it is rather nice! 



The description on the Minerva Crafts website says that it's gold. It isn't. It's beige and cream. And I lined it with cream to compliment it.


Maybe its better un-belted? I don't know... 




Oh yeah, and speaking of the belt, somehow I even managed to stretch it whilst sewing!! 😠




Either way, belted or no, I get the feeling that this one was just not meant to be. Well there had to be one; I'd been on a roll with successful makes.... until now. 
I think I'll just put this one down to experience!

To read My Sewing Pattern Review Click Here

Thanks for stopping by!
Happy Sewing 😀

Dawn

10 comments:

  1. I like your jacket, especially belted. What exactly don't you like about it. I think you look great in it and it fits you quite nicely. It looks like one of those classic pieces that can go with many other items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well after reading everyones comments I am starting to ask myself the same question now Tomasa!I guess its just a feeling rather than the look. It feel like it should be smaller and my heart wasnt in it sewing it. I am certainly going to persevere with it now though! Thank you

      Delete
  2. Sometimes for some reason you don't feel a garment at all. Objectively, it looks like a great classic, , and it is not too sloppy on you. But style is a very personal thing, and it is how you feel about this that counts. Sometimes I put things aside for a while, and rediscover them later, and then have a different feeling about them. Maybe that would work for you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think putting it aside and persevering is the way to go after reading comments here. Seems you all like it but me! So thank you for your input Sarah Liz

      Delete
  3. I have to say, like Sarah Liz, I think it's great. The back fits nicely, the peplum is right. The neckline sits high and looks good. Is it too bulky in front? Difficult to see in the photos, as it doesn't look as if it is. Do you think it's aging? Pity as it's great brocade. I have some, which I feel is a bit too dressy, and don't know what to use it for, so I know the feeling. Stick it in a cupboard till Autumn, perhaps it's a seasonal thing. If not - maybe your Mum? I bet she would love it. 😁 Trish S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what it is Trish, but thanks for the comment. You all seem to like it so i think I have to persevere with it. I guess when you dont feel it when making it, it reflects how we feel wearing it. So yes I will keep it.And if still no joy, yes I am sure Mum will love it!

      Delete
  4. I think it looks like a classic too and looks good on you. As Trish says, maybe some time in the closet will change your mind next season?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Star! And yes, its looking like I must judging by the comments!

      Delete
  5. I saw the photo before reading what you had to say and thought how nice it was! I prefer it without the belt. Sometimes you just don't feel it though. Maybe it will grow on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne. I am starting to see it differently now as the comments are positive. I'm wondering if its the feeling I got whilst making it has blinded my judgement!

      Delete