Sunday, 25 June 2017

M7574 and M7576 ~ Cool Blues


These are unusual pattern choices for me. I decided to take a chance and be different, and the chance paid off. I find wearing full skirts that I can never relax because I live by the sea and 9 times out of 10, its windy. And full skirts and wind are just a bad combination! Even on the day of taking these photos, it was a scorching 27'c (that's hot for here) and right on the coast, there was still a (warm) breeze blowing as you can tell by my hair.



I used a stretch cotton sateen from Minerva Crafts. I bought the fabric last year and was going to make some 3/4 length trousers, because that's what i needed. However that's not really what I wanted so this fabric never got made up. Then a couple of months ago I spotted M7576. Thought they were a bit weird at first, but kept coming back to them. In the end, I decided to take a chance and just went for it. And I am glad I did. These are summery and look a bit like a skirt, but without the risk of the wind having me arrested for indecency. They are also so practical to wear. Should we ever decide to go rock climbing, no problem! It's like wearing trousers but I'm not.


These were a straight forward, straight out of the envelope make. I made no changes other than I shaped the top at the waistline to reduce the bulk at the waist. The waist is elasticated


The top is M7574 and probably the closest I thing I will ever get to wearing  a tee shirt! The fabric is a  left over remnant from a jumpsuit (Here ) that I made a couple of years ago. I was drawn to this pattern because  I love high necks, love cropped tops and I love the shaping on the shoulder.  The neckline is also meant to be edge stitched but I unpicked it as it stretched a bit and looked all bumpy. Clearly I haven't mastered that technique yet! What this pattern really needs is a coverstitch machine for that pro finish. (should DH ever read this, hint hint 😉)


I love this pattern so much I can see me making this top for all seasons. I am convinced it will now replace my old faithful jumper pattern from V8939


Thanks for stopping by and taking time to read :)

Happy Sewing!
Dawn

6 comments:

  1. I think these culottes work because of the frill - they look like a skirt with a ruffle at the bottom. They are really cute and work with the pattern. And balanced with a slim top, they do not overwhelm. And now you can go rock climbing with gay abandon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this ensemble. Those blues are heavenly. The culottes are beautiful. What a wonderful print! And I love the top which fits you beautifully. Yes, taking a chance has certainly paid off!

    ReplyDelete